• Register Today It's free!

cold weather start problems

zedsdead

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver, BC, CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
alright, i love my truck, really...i do, and ive kept up with pretty regualr service intervals and the such. one thing that pisses me off is that in really cold weather (well it hasnt been as cold as it should be here in vancity but its still below -3C sometimes) and it doesnt start. ive replaced my battery cause it was dying anyways, and it still does it. ive checked out ignition side to what i can tell and everything seems fine, the engine cranks but doesnt turn over. itll get a lil warmer (maybe a rainy day and itll start) just not in really cold weather. it did it once last year, but the next day started, and now this year its been doing it on and off for 3 mos.

everything in the engine is stock except for k&n intake, bosch plugs and a optima red top.

i think its the fuel side but any help would be appreciated, whenever i take it to my mechanic he cant find anything wrong and it fires right up, wierd....

i guess its off to ford then...... $105 diagnostic, geez.....

i think its the fuel side but any help would be appreciated, whenever i take it to my mechanic he cant find anything wrong and it fires right up, wierd....

Well, don't you know the Golden Rule of mechanics: When your car has a problem, it NEVER does the problem in front of the mechanic. Cars know who is driving them and act accordingly.

Two things you need: Fuel and spark. But you knew that. Really, cold start issues are hard to diagnose, especially from afar like this with the limited information you gave. I'd bet odds that if you replaced the starter, the + and - batt cables, the solenoid, fuel pump, injectors, fuel filter, and cleaned the air filter, it would start right away every time. But that's no kind of answer.

If it were me I would do easy things first: clean the air filter, change the plugs and maybe wires, change the fuel filter, run some sea foam through it, check the alternator output, check the condition of the batt cable, check to see if I have any vacuum leaks.

end note, IAC!!!!! tried to find info on everything under the sun and this came up, tried cleaning, i hope i got it all and it starts!!!!!! im frickin happy now.......only thing i cant seem to find here in canada is seafoam stuff, is there any equivilant up here?

im gonna keep going and do the intake cleaning with that spray stuff....but im glad this helped, thanks for whoever had these problems before me.....

cheers,

z+

Back