Cold Weather starting problem

misspebbles71

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Exp. XLT 4x4
Please help, any advice appreciated!!
--> I have a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT, 4 door, 4.0, automatic, well taken care of with regular maintenance and oil changes.
(FLASH BACK - Last December, cold weather, got off work and vehicle wouldn't start at all, would crank easy but wouldn't start, ended up replacing starter)...has Run fine ever since, all year long,
-->now cold weather set in and same problem.
Replaced starter this past Saturday with brand new starter and problem seemed fixed. started and ran fine (weather was nice all day).
Temps dropped Sat night and then Sunday morning vehicle wouldn't start again, cranked very easy but wouldn't start. After jumping battery, it started fine. So we decided to replace it with a brand new battery.
->(took out the old battery in the morning, ran some errands in our other car and came back with new battery a few hours later, and still quite chilly out). Put new battery in and tried to start the vehicle and same thing..... cranked easy but wouldn't turn over. Started right away when jumped again though. Then ran fine once engine was warmed up.

Again.... it's only in cold weather. Warm temps, starts and runs perfect.

So... new battery, new starter, full tank of gas, all lights-radio-heater-etc-are bright and running strong, cranks easy.... what are we missing? What else can we try? :(:scratch::scratch:
Driving a loaner right now and need my vehicle asap.

Please & thank you!!

Dirty or faulty IAC valve possibly? I finally got around to cleaning mine last night; for at least 5 years I'd have difficult cold-starting whenever it got below freezing. This morning was the easiest 25°F startup I've had in a long time.

Back