Colindo94 front 3 link | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colindo94 front 3 link

I decided to sell the radius arms a few weeks ago and redesign the front suspension. I will be using the same steering, trackbar, coils, and front axle, but everything else went.

The links are all made of 2" OD 1.5" ID DOM tubing. The axle end have a 3" poly bushing from ballistic. The chassis end is a 2.63" flex joint from ballistic. All of the flex joints will be adjustable, but the bushings are welded streight to the link. I'm not a hundred 100% sure of the length of the links but they will be pretty long. the lower links are going to be longer then the upper link. and the upper link is going to be a drivers side upper link.

All bracketry is made of 1/4" steel. Some are from ballistic and ruffstuff, but most will be custom made.

I've been working on the 3 link calculater a little and hours of sitting under the truck with a measuring tape trying to plan. MAny research hours. And I can use all the help I can get.

Few pics of the start
SAS_2_001.jpg

SAS_2_002.jpg

SAS_2_005.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been making a bit of progress the last two days. I have less then a week to finish before school starts.
SAS_2_019.jpg

Panhard mount
SAS_2_016.jpg

upper link mount and truss
SAS_2_014.jpg

please excuse the trackbat frame mount....that was a bgining welding project a few months ago
SAS_2_006.jpg

upper link mount
SAS_2_012.jpg

SAS_2_007.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I still have to fabricate some new coil buckets. Relocate the fuel filter. Mount the shocks. cycle....finish weld. paint. test.....and so on:eek:

Man you make me want to go out in the garage and get to work. Im falling behind

:D
upperlink_chassis3.jpg

SAS_2_012.jpg

Yea a little, it looks like it moves more away from the mount then anything else so I think I'll be ok. If not I will brake the tacks and try again.

Yup iz I copied you....good and simple design

Just be careful when welding around that area, the fuel lines are all there :rolleyes:

Yea its going to be a little bit of a challenge. You were lucky with the body lift...I have no room to weld on top of the frame so I went on the inside of the top. I think i might wrap them all in something

Hehe yeah I guess thats one advantage to a body lift, among its 20 thousand disadvantages. But a water-soaked rag works well on the lines really close to where you're welding. This is good stuff though, keep up the good work!

Thank you. I'm really liking designing my own suspension:D

looks great. you have a pic of the drive shaft clerance? cant wait to see this on the trail. :) where you plan to take it for the shake down run?

friends want to go to prarie city, but I don't knom for sure. Ill get some better pictures in the morning

you should come on out

Looking good dude! How much do you have in this so far after selling your Cage arms?

Like less then $100. Not to bad

No the links are going to be to low i'm afraid. I think I may move them toward the coil bucket more and mount the lower part just above the lower link mounts.

Alright....I got a good amount done today. I cycled the suspension a little to see if there were any clearence issues. The driveshaft was hitting the upper link bracket so I took care of that. Then I welded everything up. and started planning the couil buckets.
SAS_2_024.jpg

SAS_2_023.jpg

SAS_2_022.jpg

SAS_2_021.jpg

SAS_2_028.jpg

full stuff shots
SAS_2_030.jpg

SAS_2_029.jpg

notch in the upper link bracket
SAS_2_025.jpg

upper link bracket
SAS_2_026.jpg

fully welding
SAS_2_032.jpg

SAS_2_033.jpg

cant tell by the pics. dose it stuff the same on both sides?

Back