colindo94 fullwidth swap | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

colindo94 fullwidth swap

Well it's about time to start collecting the parts I need for the swap. I wiil be using a Dana 44 front axle and a fullsize 8.8" rear end from a 89 fullsize bronco. please give me any kind of insight on what I plan to use. All commentary is wanted:)

Edited with final parts
Dana 44 from 76 f-150
-78-79 coil spring towers spaced out with 3x4 steel
-Wildhorse crawler 5.5" coil springs.
-F-250 shock towers
-5.13 Yukon ring and pinion
-Master overall kit.
-Warn primium hubs.
-Cage offroad radius arms.
-78-79 stock tie rod
-Explorer stock drag link
-custom trackbar with heims. Bottom heim is a 3/4" heim and top is a 5/8" heim with 1.5" .25 wall DOM.
-Stock 76 f-150 trackbar bracket welded to a 3/16" plate of steel.
-7* C bushing kit.
-Bilstein 14" travel 5100 shocks
-Open Differential for now
-Timkin wheel bearings and seals.
-All new disk brakes and custom stainless steel brakelines

Fullwidth 8.8 from a 88 bronco
-5.13 Yukon ring and pinion
-Master install kit.
-weld on spring perches/ u bolts/ shock mounts. mountainoffroad.com
-custom shackles that are the same length of warrior shackles.
-skyjacker Add-a-leaf
-Lockright
-new drums with stock fullsize bronco e-brake cables and custom frame bracket.
-skyjacker extended brakeline for explorer.
-extended diveshaft with 1310/1330r basterd u-joint.

Wheels and tires
-36x12.5" TSL Radials
-15x8" black steel rockcrawler wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I will try in the morning, but I am going to COfor a week so if I forget I will when I get back. I just cut the old bracket off the fram and welded a 5" piece of 1"x1" angle iron to the frame and drilled two holes for the cables to connect to. I went to pick N pull and got the adjuster off of a 1980somthing F-150. Its a really simple set up and works great.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Here are a few pics from the rubicon a couple weekends ago. It snowned on us and it turned out to be a great trip. We ran the whole trail in 2 days.
I have a few updates with the truck, but they will be easy to find in the pictures.
m_b8e4d882fdcebf50f7e83dac12c24b2a_1_.jpg

l_8dfc7487fe6ec7787c5e71fe3359c6d1_1_.jpg

l_77e91b856ce96fe4672e60db31cc8a0d_1_.jpg

l_66041abed25390c7e731943d1582139c_2_.jpg

l_5b6563149f3e5561b8ba116972127ad4_1_.jpg

you dunno how jealous i am of your rocks :D

If you could grab a picture from the back of your explorer. Im really interested in this now.

sick dude

My friend has the rest of the pictures and I'm having some trouble getting them from him, but when i do i'll post some snow pics.
Burns- I will get you a couple pictures of the rear. Its not all finished yet. I plan to do a little welding and clean up then paint with rino liner. I would also like to get the cage started.

O and all the stuff for the canvas top is here so that will be starting here soon.
I also got all the stuff to do the tie rod over knuckle flip and some burly ruff tuff diff covers. I'm trying like hell to get this thing ready for truckhaven, but it's not looking too good. Anyways I have my fingers crossed.

O and IZ... My rocks are your rocks:D I think it's time for a road trip
1st texas
2nd moab and CO
3rd truckhaven
4th rubicon/fordyce

All these are full of rocks, but you better hurry before they all close down:thumbdwn:

My friend has the rest of the pictures and I'm having some trouble getting them from him, but when i do i'll post some snow pics.
Burns- I will get you a couple pictures of the rear. Its not all finished yet. I plan to do a little welding and clean up then paint with rino liner. I would also like to get the cage started.

Ok this is good because i might do this when i do my cage. Its perfect. We can tag team ideas for the cages.

Oh and do you hate your tires as much as i hate mine? Because we have the same tires

.. better hurry before they all close down:thumbdwn:
so I heard .. what a bummer :(

But yeah that sounds like a great run. I'm still in grad school so I'm pinned down for the next year or so but after that, my plan is to move out to the west (or Rockies) so I'll wheel with you sometime (hopefully before I get bored and sell the Explorer to build a baja truck to pwn Robby Gordon <-- ahah).

Sounds good. It kinda sux, there are tons of treads on chopping the top, but nobody ever has a finished product. They always start and then you never hear about it again.

I know....one of us is going to have to step it up and do it.

Are you making a canvas and leaving the rear open once the canvas is off?

Yes it's going to be completely open with out the canvas on. The canvas will be angled down to the tailgate like a humvee. I love having it all open when I'm wheeling, and driving around town. The canvas is just for rain and snow.

Ok. I like that to but the rain slows me down here. How will it attach to the top of the roof?

Oh and i hope the tire comment didnt sound like a slam.

Not a slam at all. I'm the first to say that these tires suck. I'm very dissapointed. In the rocks you can just watck the nobs getting ripped off. And they don't seem to hook up like they should. I plan on getting MTR's next. I have button snaps to attach the top to the roof and sides of the truck. They pop rivit into the sheet metal.

IZ- I think that would be great. I start Architecture school on San diego next fall so the wheeling will be slow for the next five years. My bros dream is to build a trophy truck. One day it would be a fun project to do together.

Ok well what is going to keep the water from coming under the vynal after it is snapped on? Im gonna bug you with questions cause you prob have thought this out and no one else knows lol

haha. I'm not sure how well it will seal on the roof. I'm thinking some weather strip on the edge of the roof and the buttons will go in the low spots that run along the top of the roof. That way it will be pulled tighter and keep more water out. It wont be 100% water tight, but it should be pretty good. besides my rear windows always leaked.

Here is some snow pictures. It melted fast.
l_7ae106ab00b6f4b2cec8f99eed97242e_1_.jpg

l_22bddee29917438cc747e3f11565195b_1_.jpg

Back