Collecting info on t-case problems. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Collecting info on t-case problems.

Thanks Doug, I tried that and found one about an hour from me. 58K on it for $300. How does that sound?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats not bad i paid 350 for mine with about the same amount of miles, just check the seals, mine leaks. :(

Well, I just went and picked it up. Looks great, no leaks no play. Still has all the sensors and the shift motor on it. $250.

My 4405 went out, so I bought one from a junkyard. I put it in, and the front seal is leaking. There also is a very slight play in the rear drive shaft, but it may be normal, I'm not sure.

How do I know for sure if the bearing mount is wore out?
Would that cause the helical gears to wear out and the ratcheting, etc.

I want to sell my explorer, but don't want to sell it to anyone if it has problems.

I don't want to rebuild the case myself, or pay to have someone else do it. I also don't want to buy another used one after the problems I've just had. I am considering either just replacing the seal, or buying a reconditioned case.

Could really use some suggestions....

sethro, I have found 4 different things that cause the "ratcheting" in the gears.
1) Broken shift fork, usually won't move at all or will get stuck in low range.
2) Worn case half, the holes in the case that hold the shaft the the fork slides on wear and allow the fork to "rock" back out of high range.
3) Worn shifter cam gear, allows the fork to climb the shaft and get out of high range.
4) Worn "High Low" gear.

The case is not that hard to repair, I have been into two different ones. Mine broke the fork in road construction on I44, the only way I could get out of the way for others was to play between H,L,H,L untill I got it stuck in low.

The second I reparied had a worn case hole, cost $30 at the machine shop to bore and bush the hole, if you have that situation be sure not to get the hole too tight will make it had to put back together.

The seal you have leaking is National # 710403 cost $14. Fork is $23, cam gear is $21, H/L gear is $41.

Hope I helped!

Thanks for the info.

I do have one more question I forgot to ask. When I'm coasting at speed and get back on the gas, there is a small clunk coming from underneath. It started doing shortly after I got the new transfer case in. I was thinking it was a cv joint, but now I'm wondering if it is the play in the rear bearing mount. Can anybody confirm either way?

Hiya guys. Am new to the site and have been reading through the problems, and I've got one if you can help out... I've got a 97 X which is of the road big time. Transfer box problems I think... I have had a recon put in but the problem is still there. Here we go guys.. I was driving on the motorway and all of a sudden the car just rev up but no accelaration. I glided into the layby and put it into 1st and it just made a loud whizzing noise but didnt move, it did this in all the gears and in 4x4high I put it into 4x4low and it moved ok. As I said I got it to a garage and they have put a recon in, but the problem is still there. I got my money back, and have taken it to another garage and they cannot figure out the problem. Ford however want to put a new gearbox (sorry guys is this what you would call a tranny?) in but I know thats not the problem. So guys I need some serious help here can anyone advise?? cheers guys Jason

Sethro,

The small clunk from underneath could be a stretched chain (if so, it should grow louder an more frequent as days pass).

replacing the junk parts in the tcase when it starts making this whirring noise will not suffice. you have to replace the front case half as well. the range fork shift rail or something like that is causing the mounting hole in teh case to wear out of round which causes the problem. if you shop around and get a rebuilt unit from a reputable shop then the case half has been changed. there is a company out there that fixes ruined case halfs so that the problem wont crop back up:
http://www.omegamachine.com/html/BW4405_front_case_repair.html

pru

Im a few years too late, but I just wanted to input mine is in the shop, and i have the same problems...thank god for warranty.

I've went through my 2nd and last electric T-case. The rear seal went and I figure I'll just be swapping in a manual when I get around to it.

That'd be a good idea, seeing as though mine is in the shop for 2 weeks and they havent called me.

87 bronco

Hi guys

I drove about 35 miles in 4wh high and shut it off and it has never engaged again..Im showing no power at the switch and NO power at the #9 fuse in the fuse box...any ideas...Keep Smilin Ricco

Ricco,

I'm not at all familiar with '87 EB Broncos, but I would never guessed they could carry an electrically operated 4WD. What's your T-Case? A BW 1354, 4405?

Back