Colorado Colors Run 09 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should be able to attend - never been to Ouray, I've heard its beautiful

Salida would be cool, too, especially since I may be living there by that time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have trail maps of any of these places? Something we can see on here? Would we be tent camping everywhere? Food/drinks for the entire trip? We have to be able to get gasoline, so I figure their is places to eat at and such. I am just not sure how this is done once we are there.

Ok its little further away than i realized from home, around a 1000 miles, i will have to sit this one out, cause truck i want to use will not be ready yet, and not hauling my dinky B2 out there, love the pics thoe, maybe next year if Gmanpaint and Turdle, and looks like Chad551 are in my area we can all get in a convoy and drive that direction. Wish truck was done now, but likely won't be until the spring.
I will be watching this thread. Forsure :)

Does anyone have trail maps of any of these places? Something we can see on here? Would we be tent camping everywhere? Food/drinks for the entire trip? We have to be able to get gasoline, so I figure their is places to eat at and such. I am just not sure how this is done once we are there.

For Ouray, see here: http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html
There are a few places to eat in ouray as well as Ridgway, about 15 miles north of Ouray. Camping at a KOA is available or hotels in Ouray or Ridgway. Same goes for all the other areas for the most part.

For Ouray, see here: http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html
There are a few places to eat in ouray as well as Ridgway, about 15 miles north of Ouray. Camping at a KOA is available or hotels in Ouray or Ridgway. Same goes for all the other areas for the most part.

Cool, thanks for the link. So I hear the KOA gets full early. When everyone decides on the days and destinations we can make reservations then. I love to camp, but if we have to stay in a hotel, we can do that as well.

131_0808_01_z+4x4_truck_trail_tech+gearing.jpg

a Jeep? oh man... somebody photo fix that sucker

...It's actually not as wide as that picture makes it look...There is an outcropping on the right and the rocks in the road want to pitch you to the left, off the cliff...:eek:

...This is the start of the fun part...
attachment.php

...This was taken on the same road but in a different spot last year...
n14811518_39919121_5308.jpg

...And here is a spot that is after the worst of the trail...It has enough room for you to get out and take pictures..:D
ccr065qk6.jpg

Holy $hit!!!! That may leave marks in the steering wheel and drivers seat!!!

Could be even more interesting than usual as it has been wetter than normal this year here, and the mountains are still getting occasional snow above tree line.

Could be even more interesting than usual as it has been wetter than normal this year here, and the mountains are still getting occasional snow above tree line.

Are the trails opened yet?

...aaaa, it's really not that bad...:shifty_ey

...I did find this so it might help put you a little more at ease...Sorry, it's heeps and an H3...A lot is left out of this video...but at about 9 minutes in it shows one of the many numerous switchbacks showing why it's not full width friendly....

...And if the song in the video annoys anyone, you could always get the song "Black Bear Road" by CW Mcall and plug it in...:D

...The lyrics can be found here...
http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/cw_pages/lyrics/bbr/bbr.html

A good guide book is "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails Vol. 1" by Charles A. Wells. It is the book we used last time I went - I assume it is still in print.

Link from Amazon

I have always wanted to do Holy Cross, i continually hear it is the best trail in the state... Black Bear pass = heck yeah! Red Cone and other shelf roads we could leave out... the wife would have to walk we dont like shelf roads :)

Either way we are planning to be there for a day or two if we can get a sitter, this may be the first night away from our new son = YIKES, not sure if we can bring him yet or not?? gotta ask, no back seat in the BII so it would be the FJ and the Rzr?? hmmm... baby is really making wheeling tough! hahaha

My kid rocks the wheeling all the time. She is doing Carnage BV with me on the 28th. She is pretty melow for most kids though. I let her get behind the wheel a little when she gets restless. It may be too soon for your little guy though! The last time we did Holy cross my kid was about 3 months. I wanted to bring her and the wife but they decided to sit it out. It was a good thing because that is when I got all the electrical issues with the Xploder and spent the night with out heat and had to be towed back. That would have been a bad situation with a little one!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah holy $hit is right!! Not fullsize friendly for sure! If we end up in OUray it will be in the ranger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back