Colorado Colors Run 2000 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Labor Day in CO sounds good, count us in too!

Ray & Debby Hutchinson
93 hite XLT
Slightly modded,
Lotsa Radios

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shoulda mentioned this in the last post:

Friends don't let friends drive J**ps!

It's a tough choice. Labor Day in CO or the week before with the FAKRWEE tribe at the Rubicon.

I'm sort of leaning towards Rubicon since it will be a good workout of the new front suspension.

Matt,

You were talking about scouting out the Buena Vista area. Would that be far enough from Denver to avoid heavy crowds? There's several great sounding trails there too.

Gerald

Well, the Buena Vista area has already been pretty well scouted, that's where we did the Colors run last year. Had some pretty good trails for people of all skill levels. It is a popular area, although during last years run we only ran into a few other groups, if we seperated the groups this time it might go a little easier. I was going to scout the ouray/silverton area, as described earlier there are quite a few moderate trails and some difficult trails for the real go-getters (though the descriptions of some of the difficult trails scare the poo out of me!), such as "it is extremely dangerous and for experienced drivers only"... I'll see what they are like at some point within the next few months though. It might also be nice to find some trails with some fishing to do, there a few of those around the silverton area. I don't really mind whether we do Buena Vista or Silverton/Ouray area, both are beautifal, I'm just not familiar witht he Silverton area so I'll check it out and let everyone know how it looks.

Rick, no sweat, we'd miss havin ya there, it's just a popular weekend I guess :).

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy" http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/madams/

[This message has been edited by mattadams (edited 05-29-2000).]

I would be in if it is sometime around Labor Day but not that weekend. I have a yearly thing that goes on that weekend. I am actually planning a trip in mid July for Engineer, Cinnamon, and Ophir passes and area. I wouldn't mind going again after a few months with all of you. I am looking foward to seeing all the scenery although I just got back from 2 weeks in Alaska and Colorado has some tough competition. And lastly I also have the 1 of Wells' books and another one (by Massey and Wilson) that gives the history, plants, and GPS coords that are along the trail.

[Edited by Brian1 on 05-30-2000 at 09:15 PM]

Montrose would be a great "launch pad" for a wheelin' excursion. Montrose sits in a valley affectionately called "the banana bowl"-it can be snowin' goose down in the mountains and bright and sunny here. We have many great locations for camping, fishing, and all those outdoorsy "ing" things... :)
Lodging in Montrose is less expensive than in Ouray or Telluride. Also, most of the surrounding "wilderness" is public land so camping doesn't have to be a KOA or a state park.
As for wheelin' the best thing is that it is only minutes to a variety of terrain types and difficulties. Anything from sandstone like Moab, to smooth soft adobe hills, to old mining trails that will leave bite marks in your drivers seat!!
I have been on several of the noted routes (Imogene Pass, Enginees Pass, etc.) but it has been a few years ago. I am planning on getting up there as soon as the snow melts enough on the topsides. My Explorer is pretty much stock right now so the knarly ones are out for now.
Here is a link to trail info in the San Juan Mountains.

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

mal_1_027_imogene_pass.jpg

I think Silverton/Ouray or Montrose would be great! No sense getting too close to the big cities - especially on a holiday weekend.

Are we thinking about a hard-core wheeling run, or an exploring/see where history was made/take lots of pictures/wheeling run?

I would prefer the latter - there is so much to see in Colorado (and so much of it is only accessible by 4 wheel drive!)

I guess, if need be, we could break up into groups, depending on what people want to do.

I think I'm just rambling - OK, so I'm really eager to go! :)

Let's decide on Ouray

Rick has started an events calendar and we need to confirm this so he can get it on the calendar. It's been pointed out that Buena Vista area was last year's run and I would rather have the group do something different so last year's participants won't be stuck doing the same old thing again.

It sounds like Ouray would be the best run for several reasons. If everyone is in agreement we'll cement that decision down and be able to get it on the events calendar and get a few guys planning some preruns in that area.

Are there any dissenting opinions, or can we plan for the Ouray/Silverton/Montrose/Telluride area?

Well Gerald,
I have a dissenting opinion. I Can't go. :(
Ok that's not an opinion.
Having roamed around Colorado in my youth, all I have to say is that you can't go wrong just about anywhere you go in Colorado. ;)
I will definitely schedule the Colorado Colors Run into my vacation plans for next year.

Ouray works for me, I'll try to find some good trails along with some other explorer owners before then. For those of you with the Colorado backroads trail book, I'll be doing Red Cone (trail #52) this weekend, wish me luck. For those without it, heres the difficulty rating:
"Difficulty: Difficult. To drive this trail, you must have surpreme confidence in your vehicle and your driving skills. This trail's notoriety is based on an extremely steep 3/4 mile long, one-way descent fromt eh top of Red Cone down to Webster Pass. This stretch is so steep it is difficult to walk down in places. It is extremely dangerous because your vehicle will likely roll if it gets sideways on the hill." -- So wish me luck!

Matt, keep your nickname Tippy, not Roll-ie, ok? Awesome sounding trail.

I'll give another day to see if we get any dissentions; in their abscence, then we'll plan for Ouray. I may be up for a prerun sometime this month all the way from Dallas while my 7 yr old son is visiting for the summer.

[Edited by GJarrett on 05-31-2000 at 07:16 PM]

Hey!

I'm the rollo expert here.. So matt can't even try. :)

Can you believe it went on the side, again?

check it out - http://dweeb.lbl.gov/~tdavis/pics

look under tank trap.

Rick,
I believe that pic(that you show) is where Tom blew the passenger side hub going up it. Try it with a blown hub(on the wrong side) and backing down it in reverse. :eek:
The part where he tipped it over was worse, and again he was going in reverse.

Ray - the hub blew on #3, we got to #4. #1 and #2 was kinda easy - they was dry. #3 had the soft spot, that raised up the front end (and I was powering through), #4 had the only dry spot - on the side that had a blown hub.

Already having body damage makes tank trap easier. It's rated at triple black diamond at Hollister - that's why it's part of the top truck challenge.

waist high is about right for that spot. But, it's not a ledge - it's about 60 degrees up.

Kevin has videotape of the whole thing rick - and he said he was going to send a copy of it. Includes the loud snap of the hub going, and ray ducking. Also includes the truck on it's driver side, and us winching it back over onto it's side.

In looking back, tank trap was kinda fun, scary, and probably a good lesson. In not doing something so difficult! :)

Matt - in going down that trail, make sure that your front end is always pointing down. If you feel your rear end sliding around, try to get the front end down. Also, roll down your front windows. If you do tip over, you won't break the glass then (it's protected inside the door.) Your mirrors will bend in more too that way (the mirror will break the glass if you don't roll it down.)

My other tips for a rolled explorer - the oil will leak down, and hydrolock the engine. Just wait 5 to 10 minutes - engine will start. You will get a ton of smoke - just let it idle. about 20 minutes later, it will be gone. Check your air filter. Check your oil level, and power steering level (mine lost some in Tank Trap, and it was whining badly.)

Oh, and having tow hooks on all four corners help - it gives you a point to hook up and winch back over from. The frame is really tight against the body near the rear bumper.

And no, I don't like rolling the truck on it's side. It's getting to be expensive ($125 for the mirror that shattered in tank trap)

CO on/near Labor Day

Hi All,
the Ouray area gets my vote. Haven't spent any time in that part of CO., but all I hear, it real neat!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that going on the whoops!! page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back