Colorado->Labor Day weekend->Salida | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado->Labor Day weekend->Salida

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Sept 1st-4th (Fri-Mon) is Labor Day weekend. I am making plans to go wheeling Saturday and Sunday around the Salida and Buena Vista area because it has been a few years since the last time I have wheeled the area. Salida has more choices for hotels, food and there is a campground in town.

Trails for all types from mild to wild. Mild trails are Monarch Pass, Tin cup and others while the harder trails would be Iron Chest and Carnage Buena Vista.

chamber of commerce website

Hotels

I will be at the Holiday Inn Express most likely.

Campground:
Riverside Lodge
Motel, Campground & RV Park (719) 539-7607
(800) 727-0525 7870 W. Highway 50;
Salida, CO, 81201

If you are interested make reservations NOW! I checked and there are still rooms at some of the hotels. I dont know about the campground.

Trail selection to be determined by who plans to come. Meeting place at the Wal-Mart on the north side of the main drag through town. Meet @ 9AM or so.

The return thread from a few years ago: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116257

what to expect:
14k feet up in the air
2199P1010017.jpg

Lunch at St Elmo
2199P10100081.jpg

Old Mine ruins
2199P10100151.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll definately be there barring any unforseen curicumstances!

I am working on plans to make this run with Brett
will keep you posted.

the BII needs some attention first but nothing major....

Damn, I already have plans for that weekend, crap.

Tim

Brian, I'm going to post this over on CO4x4 to see if anyone over there is interested in joining us.

Hold the phone!
I may be back in for this trip...I will know by the end of today (can you say friggin bonus at work)

After last weeks trip I have confidence my radiator will hold for a weekend trip like this, I have not gotten to install my new one yet.

I will have to re-torque my wheel bearings tonight, install my cb antennea, fix air leak in front locker manifold at compressor (just built a manifold for my tire filler, its leaking) pack tools and spare parts, grab GF and lots of water/coolant and hit the road Fri after work :)

Oh baby

Anybody need any parts? Nows your chance to have me bring them!

410Fortune said:
Hold the phone!
I may be back in for this trip...I will know by the end of today (can you say friggin bonus at work)
Whoa, whoa, whoa Jamie... 2 trips in one month, in 2006!! WTF is going on here?! :p

Have a good time guys and Amber. :D

410'sexyCoPilot said:
I won't be the only chick right?

hopefully not. you guys better take pics so there is no more photoshop arguements :D

I'm going to best Brett's trout :)

Okay so I am searching for info on these trails and I get to a thread on colorado4x4.org and see there will be some other EF members up there, CB channel 16. meeting at Safeway at 9 am.
I know Kirby N from CO springs is going to be up there in his Navajo on 37's.
I believe they are running Iron Chest on Sat....

maybe we can combine groups?
Looks like Carnage Canyon is rated at 10+ EXTREME, hehehe man I need sliders....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back