Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models

Bryceb

Reaction score
City, State
Acworth, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
2013 Explorer Recall 13S04 FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT

Just in case others didn't see the post in the other thread

Ford Motor is recalling 465,000 of its current model year cars due to a fuel leak that poses a fire risk.

The company said the models include 2013 Ford Explorer, Taurus, Flex, Fusion, Interceptor Utility and Interceptor Sedan, as well as the Lincoln MKS, MKT and MKZ.

Ford said it is not aware of any incidents of fire due to the fuel leak, or of any injuries caused by the defect. Ford said it had received 600 complaints about the fuel leak from customers as of March 31.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/03/autos/ford-recall/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This article says "Ford says a connector from the fuel tank to the fuel line is the source of the leak. Customers could smell gas or see a leak on the ground. The company says no fires or crashes have been reported because of the problem.

Dealers will replace the fuel delivery module, which includes the connector, a Ford spokeswoman said."

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20130603&id=16549424

I had the opportunity today to have the recall explained to me in detail. Its amazing how the media has warped the facts.

On the top of the fuel pump there is a connection nipple to the fuel line made out of plastic. This part is provided to Ford by an outside vendor, Ford doesn't make it.

When the nipple was being manufactured the QC on the plastic composition was not correct and the Ford build specs were not met.

The part was installed and the poorly made plastic nipple started to deteriorate as more fuel was pushed through the connection nipple. The higher your mileage, the more fuel is passed through the nipple, the quicker it deteriorates and your nipple cracks and leaks causing fuel smell.

Low use vehicles, pass less fuel through the nipple, the deterioration is slower and doesn't produce the cracks and leaks.

This was caught months ago and the newest builds had new parts installed. Not sure what the cutoff was but it was some time ago near the beginning of the year.

The pump sits directly under the second row seats in the Explorer.

There is little or no risk of fire as the pump is not around any heat source that can cause combustion.

To ensure the parts aren't confused.

Gray nipple is GOOD (new part)

Black nipple is BAD (old part)

So Ford takes the PR hit when it was actually another vendor making a substandard part that didn't meet the required specs.

Thanks Sgt, is it the nipple only that needs replacing or the whole pump?

I believe its just the nipple part but not confirmed yet.....I will check

how long should it take for the dealer to swap the fuel pump out?

the receptionist at my local dealer said it would take a couple days to change and is going to get me a loaner.

I figured it shouldn't take more that a couple hours ...

how long should it take for the dealer to swap the fuel pump out?

the receptionist at my local dealer said it would take a couple days to change and is going to get me a loaner.

I figured it shouldn't take more that a couple hours ...

When I asked I was told 1HR for Explorer and 1.5hr for Taurus

Oh and they did have their supplier spool up extra production before this release.

I just talked to my Dealer today about the recall and the sulpher smell.

They told me that it was a plastic piece on the fuel pump. You will see gas on the ground and smell raw gas outside the vehicle. They also told me they would not have any replacement parts in until August or later.:)

Hey everyone,

I wanted to check in to make sure everybody is being taken care of. Recalls are VIN specific, so send me your VIN in a PM and I’ll be happy to review to see if there is a recall assigned to your car. You can also go to this link to input your VIN to check for recalls:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage

For those experiencing a concern, please immediately PM me your contact info (full name, VIN, best daytime phone number, mileage, and dealer details) so I can arrange a call from your respective regional customer service managers.

Cory

My coworker who bought a used 2013 XLT has her vehicle into the dealership I use for this issue (filled up the tank, smelled fuel inside and outside of the vehicle). The standard fix for this issue did not resolve the issue, and they need to replace the entire fuel tank. They're going to have her Ex in the shop for two weeks waiting for parts...

There are 2 current recalls, one for a few cars with a possible fuel tank leak from the tank seams, and the latest covering many cars for a fuel pump leak.

im in the same situation. I only had my new car for a week and its been at the dealers for over 3...

I took my 2013 Explorer in to the shop 4 weeks ago for the fuel leak. I have called Ford directly 3 times and no one can give me an answer on when this part will be available...

I am in the same boat as you. They have had mine for 3 wks now...

daisybytes, hmb124, and kanetke,

This is Ashley. I'm going to be helping out Cory and Crystal while they're out or busy.

I'd like to look into your situation in more detail. Could you PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info? I'll see what I can do to get you back in your Explorers as soon as possible.

...Get Ford CS involved on this forum they often get things moving faster then dealership speed.

Sgt1411,

Thanks for the recommendation. We help out in any way we can. :)

Ashley

Daisy, it's not a defected car. If they issued a recall, they are covered.

A little further information on my recall repair. I don't know exactly what a "fuel delivery module" is, but it sounds like newspeak for a fuel pump to me. In any event, as I said the fix was done in less than 24 hours. They did replace the entire fuel pump, Part number DB42
99A407A and the associated gasket. Apparently new pumps come with the correct part attached. This, by the way, is not the dealer where the car was bought, which is a considerable distance away.

Anyway it may not be a bad idea to call your local dealer to see what they can, or will do.

Was unaware of the recall until I started smelling fuel in and around my 2013 Explorer. I took it in for service the next day; that was two weeks ago and still no word on when parts will arrive. I was told by the service rep. that they are still waiting for supply from the manufacturer and that they had no idea where I was in line. Good times.

Hi SoFlaSlagle.

I'd like to look into this a bit more and see how I can help. Can you PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Thanks!

Ashley

My explorer has been in the shop for a month now since we started smelling gas and I was just told it will likely be there another month. The dealership is telling me it is the fuel delivery module. What is ford doing to compensate owners? I have made two payments on a car I am not driving. I have a rental, but I have a warranty through ford that gives me a rental for any repair that takes over a day. They are doing nothing.

Use the Ford Customer Service reps on this forum, they will escalate for you.

Private message them by clicking on their Forum name in RED lettering.

My explorer has been in the shop for a month now since we started smelling gas...
Welcome, Blue13; I can lend a hand by arranging for your regional customer service manager to call you. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Use the Ford Customer Service reps on this forum, they will escalate for you.

Private message them by clicking on their Forum name in RED lettering.
Sgt1411,

I appreciate the shout-out. :)

Cory

peter, it is real simple. Do a recall on my Ford, and YOU WILL give me a loaner if it must stay there even one night. Ford would owe me and no extended warranty crap would not stop it.
Under the terms of the factory warranty, Ford has no obligation to supply a loaner. Those dealers that do, do so at their own expense. Owner's also have the option, as many have done, to take out the ESP. I took the extended warranty partly because it was a new model with many electronic programs on board.
Having said that, I do agree that if Ford issues a recall to fix a manufacturing defect, they should offer a loaner if the vehicle repair will take more than a day.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Child Safety Lock Recall

Ford Motor is recalling g 12,569 cars and SUVs because the child locks on the rear doors could fail, allowing kids to unlock and open the back doors from the inside when parents thought they couldn't.

Affected are 2013 Ford Explorer, Taurus, and Lincoln MKS vehicles that were built Nov. 29 through Dec.12, 2012.

Dealers will replace faulty locks free. Ford says it will begin the recall Aug. 5.

Ford says owners can determine if their vehicles are involved by calling Ford's toll-free line at 1-866-436-7332, or by contacting a local Ford or Lincoln dealer who can obtain specific information regarding the vehicles from the Ford On-line Automotive Service Information System (OASIS) database.

Back