common issues to avoid in used Sport Trac | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

common issues to avoid in used Sport Trac

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone searching the web wants to know more about this vehicle, here's a list of things I have come accross in my 02 sport trac. Sway bars have to bereplaced often. Ball joints wear out quickly. Digital compass quit working and is a few hundred to replace at a mechanic. The door windows all quit working simultaneously- still working on getting that fixed (sunroof and rear windshield still work). Motor was rebuilt at 144000 due to a broken spring. It has 158000 miles and is a fun truck to drive but I'm thinking about selling and getting something with fewer gadgets to go wrong and tougher suspension. I hope this helps anyone looking buy one

The temp compass display can be easily fixed with a solder gun…most likely and your power windows all going out is most likely a cut wire in the driver door jam, behind the rubber boot look for blue/black wire (on 02).

I had both these problems and fixed both with the help of this site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The temp compass display can be easily fixed with a solder gun…most likely and your power windows all going out is most likely a cut wire in the driver door jam, behind the rubber boot look for blue/black wire (on 02).

I had both these problems and fixed both with the help of this site.

Great thread even if old. I'm looking for a high mileage '03 or '04 as a short distance run around. The 2-3 flare, is that detectable on a test drive ? I'm a wrench head so don't mind getting my hands dirty, but want to find a decent starting point. Most I'm seeing have 100 - 150k miles which is ok with me as long as they hold up.

I was trying to steer the poster into a direction to fix those 2 problem, the temp display and a possible for the windows because I had the same problem and was able to fix it. I'm no mechanic by any means so I have no idea what you mean by 2-3 flare. I've been on this money saving kick and will basicly try and teach myself just to avoid the repair bill.
Sorry I couldn't be any help but maybe your question in a new thread will get more of a response

i've got 150.000 on mine,,, only major things ive done is ball joints,, swaybar end links and thermostat housing,,, oh and a couple brake calipers..

Got 120k on my 05 ST and have had to change the thermostat housing. I think I have the 2-3 flare too. What's the fix for that, new trans?

Also just found a leak between mastercylinder and brake booster. Anyone had that issue?

Master cylinder leak

Got 120k on my 05 ST and have had to change the thermostat housing. I think I have the 2-3 flare too. What's the fix for that, new trans?

Also just found a leak between master cylinder and brake booster. Anyone had that issue?

I have been an auto mechanic for 55 years and an ASE Master Technician since 1976 and an Acura master tech since 1993. The master cylinder was leaking, wasn't it.

I'm going to buy one of these trucks tomorrow. They seem so simple and tough this ought to be a great experience. The information I have found on here has already helped a lot.

Thanks a lot guys

BTW, I'm looking for the best way to to acquire neutral tow. I don't trust that Actuator motor. If I do have to use it the motor actually has four positions controlled by four wires. It looks like if there was a four position switch substituted for the computer that should work. Open to any ideas.

Things Found Wrong with 01 Sport Trac

Have had my 01 Sport Trac since December 28, 2000 with 45 miles when purchased. I have over 207K miles. The only issues I have had other than regular maintenance are: (1) parking brake light stayed on at less than 36K miles and had it repaired. Driving home from dealer the wheel overheated - had to have entire rear wheel parts replaced; (2) the alternator died at 99K; (3) the driver mirror motor went out after warranty but extended warranty fixed for $50 deductible; (4) the right rear signal light stopped working - the connection inside the steering column came undone so had it repaired and lights in dash replaced; (5) the rear window motor died at about 190K and husband replaced; (5) replaced front ball joints about 200k and need to replace rear but have not just yet; and (6) the driver seat handle broke around 200 also. Nothing else. Do have a whine in the rear end which I understand from the threads seems to be a common complaint. It has been there for at least 100k now. Love my truck!

I have had my 2002 for 9 years, really like this truck.Had the 2-3 flare also.
Just got hit with a HUGE repair at 130000k . Tranny cooler in radiator failed, got ATF in the engine coolant and water in the trans. BIG mess and big bill. Going to repair and keep on Trac'n

Back