Common rattles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Common rattles

JIGAWHAAT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Well my truck started to make a rattle sound a little while back and I assumed it was possibly the timing chain tension spring.
Well today is the first day in a while up here that its warm outside (75 degrees:thumbsup: )
So now that I am driving with the windows down I can really hear what its doing.
Its not the timing chain spring.
The rattle is caused by the vibration of my tires (x-terrains) when I get up to 15 mph+.
Its a metal on metal sound.
I am pretty impatient when it comes to finding little querks like this so I would like to get a list of the most possible things to rattle loose on a 2nd gen before I climb under there.
I am thinking calipers will be the first option. Its coming from the front of the truck.
So throw your ideas at me.
I am used to rattle issues. My Harley pretty much rattles something off every week. (red locktite un crackable my ass!)
Thanks in advance

Teflon pads shot on the torsion bar keys. Also coulg be a broken sway bar link

Here is a pic of the torsion bar key

Attachments

• torsion bar key.jpg
    torsion bar key.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 180

Thanks dan
I went out there to have a look and when I crawled under her I realized The entire underneath of my rig is covered in mud, hey , gravel, grass you name it. Quite a sight actually (wish I had my camera)
So I am going to have pressure wash it tomorrow before I look any further for this rattle.
Thanks again.

Back