Common V8 engine swap for 1996 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Common V8 engine swap for 1996 Explorer?

chicodaman

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have a 96 Ford Explorer V6 4x4 automatic transmission with 250k miles on it. I drive from time to time but the transmission is bout to fall out. I drive in 2 gear and shift to D to get from point A to point B. My question is this knowing that my tranny is going out and the motor has 250k miles on it I was considering a motor swap. I prefer V8 and want a manual tranny...is this possible? If so can i keep the 4x4 feature?? Id like to put mud boggin wheels and tires that poke out the side and want to be able to pull my boat during summer?? Please any info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Ive had 5.0 302 Mustangs before so automatically that motor comes to mind for myself! Roughly how much would one anticipate for project like this??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything can be done with enough time and effort. Along with the hard parts don't forget that the computer will have to be changed as well.

You do know that the 2nd gen explorers did come with a V8 5.0L option right?

I guess now that I think bout it I do know that there was a V8 option...duh me...lol!! So if i found a v8 5.0 it should bolt right up? Will the 4x4 option stay the same?? Did they offer a stick tranny???

this swap is not cost effective not to mention the wiring nightmare your getting yourself into

I guess now that I think bout it I do know that there was a V8 option...duh me...lol!! So if i found a v8 5.0 it should bolt right up? Will the 4x4 option stay the same?? Did they offer a stick tranny???

No. Automatic only. The V8's were only available in 2wd or AWD. You would need a 4406 T-case from 97-2003 F150 to have 4wd.

Since the tranny is bout to fallout Im thinking Ill just change the tranny while adding the manual at the same time! Then ill see how the motor is acting and change that when the time comes. What kind of mud boggn tires could I put on there without any suspension mod? Or should I opt for the suspension mod considering I will want to pull my boat this summer?

Since the tranny is bout to fallout Im thinking Ill just change the tranny while adding the manual at the same time! Then ill see how the motor is acting and change that when the time comes. What kind of mud boggn tires could I put on there without any suspension mod? Or should I opt for the suspension mod considering I will want to pull my boat this summer?

I had been contemplating a v8 swap into my old explorer, but found that the time and all the parts needed was more then just buying a v8 model. I swapped over any parts I wanted to keep off the old one and then sold it.

Yeah I think your right bout the money to convert Im going to just take the v6 for what it worth with 250k on it and change the tranny to manual and put my big tires on it..thanks for the info fellas!

Back