comp cam 410? 422? or delta cam? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

comp cam 410? 422? or delta cam?

what should be used? i know this has been talked about before, but im still guessing. so i guess the 410 is a stock cam from what i hear, so why get that if you want performance? (correct me if im wrong) the 422 is the beefier brother of the 422 but some people seem to be afraid of putting that in. is it realy too much to put in, i honestly want to know because i dont know.

Now for those of you familiar with delta cam, they have a stage one and stage two cam. i, myself, have a 4.0 ohv with some mods done to it. daily driver and offroader. i recently called deltacam and they suggested the stage 1 (low to mid range). the only specs he gave me were, 203 at 050 duration and 450 lift (thanks for the details!) anyways, what is everybodys take on this, i want performance, ofcoarse, for offroading but i also want to beat some ricer ass too.

soo.. 410? 422? or deltacam for much cheaper, about $160 to my door he said.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 410 is not a stock cam and is used by alot of people it give you good low end and idle where the 422 you need to have head work and daul valve springs for it and idles tough and the delta you would need more spec too know.i went with the 410 but have not started it yet because at the last sec people have told me i need bigger pushrods but cant find out what size i need

please bump, i need to know too please

Can't remember what thread this was in, but I saved it just in case:

5.550 is the correct pushrod length for the 410 as long as you are using stock rocker arms.

if you get the DeltaCam rockers, get your pushrods in a 5.525 length.

Edit: Found it here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1337757&postcount=13

I would go with the delta rockers when you do the cam, it will help with valvetrain wear and noise.

Stock cams (especially on manual trannys that came with specific cams for them) keep the torque down in the lower RPMs.

The 410 cam (and Delta's stage 1 grind) moves that up a bit, making torque at slightly higher RPMs than stock.

The 422 cam (and Delta's stage 2 grind) moves it up even higher, being more of a midrange/higher RPM cam.

Delta's camshafts are custom grinds, and they can even just grind your stock camshaft to the 410/422 specs for less.

You'd have to make an estimate with your wheel/tire size, gearing, engine mods, driving style, and the type of wheeling you do to come up with what would probably work best.

If you keep the 4.0 down under 3000 RPM most of the time, a different cam might not do anything for you. The 422 is nice if you have the engine mods to go with it (intake, throttle body, headwork, headers, exhaust), plan on doing some tuning, and need more top end the stock setup doesn't offer.

Keep in mind there have been some concerns that the 422 cam will offer difficulties in passing emissions testing. If you live within the city limits where emissions testing is required, you might have to go with the 410 cam anyway.

Back