Comparisons between 2014-2015 models vs 2016 and up Ford Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Comparisons between 2014-2015 models vs 2016 and up Ford Explorer Sport

egallus83

Reaction score
City, State
Chisholm, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Chevy Equinox
Hello! I've currently been looking at 2014-2015 and some 2016 Ford Explorer Sports. I really like the style and how the 14 & 15's look. The 2016's are nice as well, I really just wish they had the same style rims as the 14 & 15's. I've seen some 2016 that are listed as black but are more like a grayish black (I personally like the black on black) which I have seen in the 14 & 15 models.
What are some of the similarities and differences of the 14/15 and 2016 models?
Any advice on which year to get?? Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe, like many members have mentioned, it is probably best to get the latest model due to technical advances and the correction of some of the known issues from earlier years. The only problem that comes to mind about the 2016 is a throttle body issue.

Peter

I believe, like many members have mentioned, it is probably best to get the latest model due to technical advances and the correction of some of the known issues from earlier years. The only problem that comes to mind about the 2016 is a throttle body issue.

Peter

would a throttle body isse be covered under any warranty?

I have a 2015 which I purchased as a CPO 2 years ago. At that time, the 2016 was just over my price range and I liked the black and brown interior in the 2015 better than the all black 2016. This was my first car with a BI infotainment system and I really didn't place a lot of weight on the difference between the 2015 Sync 2 and the 2016 Sync 3. After 2 years with Sync 2, I should have popped for the 2016. I think this is really the only significant difference, aside form some exterior trim, wheels and the seats.

I have a 2015 which I purchased as a CPO 2 years ago. At that time, the 2016 was just over my price range and I liked the black and brown interior in the 2015 better than the all black 2016. This was my first car with a BI infotainment system and I really didn't place a lot of weight on the difference between the 2015 Sync 2 and the 2016 Sync 3. After 2 years with Sync 2, I should have popped for the 2016. I think this is really the only significant difference, aside form some exterior trim, wheels and the seats.
I'm pretty sure to get Sync 3 in the Explorer (from the factory), you had to buy a 2017. At least, all the 2016s I looked at while I was shopping didn't have Sync 3. You can retrofit however.

I'm pretty sure to get Sync 3 in the Explorer (from the factory), you had to buy a 2017. At least, all the 2016s I looked at while I was shopping didn't have Sync 3. You can retrofit however.
That's correct. Sync 3 came out in the 2017 Explorer.

Peter

That's correct. Sync 3 came out in the 2017 Explorer.

Peter

Just to clarify, SYNC 3 came standard with XLT trim and above (same with the Securicode keypad).

Base models got SYNC with the 4.1" screen.

My only suggestion is to buy make sure you buy extended warranty or find one with remaining warranty.
The PTU is a ticking time bomb!

My only suggestion is to buy make sure you buy extended warranty or find one with remaining warranty.
The PTU is a ticking time bomb!
Ain't the PTU part of the 5year warranty on the power train?
When I ask my dealer to told me if anything happen. it would be covered.

I have a 2016 sport, love it
Would be curious to have more details, but if numbers are good: price & mileage, I'd go for a 2016.
I much more prefer the light design on the '16 then earlier ones... (my 2 cents)
2016 Sport also come with a nice package, not sure what 14-15 have.
And it most likely have Sync2.

Check for the extended warranty especially if you are still on the original one (cheaper/better)... There someone on here that should be able to help you get a good price for it.
But if you buy from a ford dealer, you might be able to include it in.

The headlights o the 2015 suck. Unless it is a limited with HID's. I'm not sure when the headlights changed.

Ain't the PTU part of the 5year warranty on the power train?
When I ask my dealer to told me if anything happen. it would be covered.

I have a 2016 sport, love it
Would be curious to have more details, but if numbers are good: price & mileage, I'd go for a 2016.
I much more prefer the light design on the '16 then earlier ones... (my 2 cents)
2016 Sport also come with a nice package, not sure what 14-15 have.
And it most likely have Sync2.

Check for the extended warranty especially if you are still on the original one (cheaper/better)... There someone on here that should be able to help you get a good price for it.
But if you buy from a ford dealer, you might be able to include it in.
Correct, the PTU is covered up to 5yr/60k miles.
Before I sold my 2016 Sport, it went out under 30K miles and covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.

The headlights o the 2015 suck. Unless it is a limited with HID's. I'm not sure when the headlights changed.

2016+ they changed from halogen headlights to LEDs. High beams are still halogen.

Are Limiteds HID 11-15? Because so would Sports and I've not heard of that.

2016+ they changed from halogen headlights to LEDs. High beams are still halogen.

Are Limiteds HID 11-15? Because so would Sports and I've not heard of that.
Only the Canadian Limited trim had standard HID headlamps. I had HID on my 2011 Limited. I believe that they became an option at some point on the U.S. Limiteds.

Peter

Only the Canadian Limited trim had standard HID headlamps. I had HID on my 2011 Limited. I believe that they became an option at some point on the U.S. Limiteds.

Peter

Oh, very interesting, thank you.

Egallus. I have a 15 sport and love it! NOPE its not perfect but a Great vehicle. Mine is in for service and I have been driving my friends x5 while he is away and short of the v8 which is a screamer my X has it over the bmw. Even my wife and daughter who drive BMWs say the x rides better and is much nicer. Yes buy a warranty like with any car honestly. I would not want to pay to repair this bmw trust me.. I have no interest in changing my X. Even though I like the raptor.. it is a little out of my reach on the top shelf.. LOL

Pretty sure all 2016-2019 have LED lowbeams and halogen high beams.
My 2018 XLT did not have SYNC3 and just came with the 4.2" screen. You need to get a package with the XLT to get SYNC3.

Pretty sure all 2016-2019 have LED lowbeams and halogen high beams.
My 2018 XLT did not have SYNC3 and just came with the 4.2" screen. You need to get a package with the XLT to get SYNC3.
2018+ Platinums came with LED low and high beams. Otherwise it was LED low and halogen high.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if those could be retrofitted onto non-Platinums.

Back