• Register Today It's free!

Compass and Thermometer for 02

lancer525

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have an '02 Explorer that does not have the compass and thermometer system installed. I see at startup that those functions exist, because all the lights come on in the message center, but there is no temp or heading information in it.

What specific items would I need to obtain and install in order to make one or both of them operate, and where exactly would I find information that shows precise steps to install and test these items?

This is something I'd really like to upgrade on the baby... :D

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully someone can provide better information but I do know that:
the compass module would be located in a black box between your rearview mirror and the windshield (where it attaches)
the thermometer is located behind the front grille and is an odd looking plastic piece that just plugs in.
I don't know if you need more than just the pieces (because you obviously have to have the wiring running from each device).

Doomstang:

Thanks, but as you said, I don't know what I've got in the thing.

I'm sure there is something that I can get that will allow me to see if at least the thermometer thing can be checked.

Any ideas, anyone? Please?

I don't know if you can add these functions or not. Here is my write up on replacing the outside ambient temperature sensor: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305435

Check it out. This will let you know if have the sensor installed and the display is not working.

I don't know if this was an option on the XLS. Where is your odometer reading? Here is what mine looks like:

2011-01-17_18-23-24_665Custom.jpg

It's possible that you have all this and your display isn't working correctly. This is somewhat common due to a poor solder joint on the resistors for the display. I used the following threads to repair mine:

Remove cluster (the 1st picture show a great shot of what the display is supposed to look like): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218636

Fix bad solder joints: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217490

Like I said, I'm not sure what the XLS has for digital readout, but maybe you just need to fix the display to have the compass & temp working.

Hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post, looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

That's EXACTLY what my odometer looks like. And all those things light up when starting the vehicle, but do not generally operate. I had a 95 Explorer, and my wife had an 01 Saturn VUE, and they both had temp and compass in them. You don't realize how much you use something until you don't have it anymore.

I would love to know what I have to look at in the vehicle, to ensure that I have these functionalities.

If you give me an email address in a PM, I can send you the window sticker that Ford sent me after I bought this one used. Maybe some of it will make sense to someone more knowledgeable than I.

Check my earlier post. There is a link to replacing the ambient temp sensor. Use that to see if you have the sensor. My sensor is on the passenger side. Check both sides for the sensor as others have reported theirs being on the driver side.

You can post the window sticker here if you like.

Back