• Register Today It's free!

compass module problem

machinist2128

Reaction score
City, State
Max Meadows, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello,

i recently purchased a used 2005 explorer and it has a compass feature that is not functioning. it should display the direction on the dash next to the odometer, but all it shows is "--". i have tried calibrating according to the book at which time it will tell me to "check compass module". i have found the little black box on the rear view mirror and currently have it off the vehicle. has this thing just gone bad? if so, does anyone know how much a new one cost? or am i just missing a step?

thanks

Hi there,
I have had a similar problem. It worked fine for me once I've followed all the instructions in the owners manual, pages 17-21. It is important, that you look up your zone first, and then you need to adjust to the zone. Once you've done this go to a large car park and do the calibration as described in the manual. It is important that you turn off all electric stuff and drive slow in true circles. If the circles are not real circles, but more oblong, the calibration will not work exact. I hope this will help you.

hello and thanks for your response.

we must be looking at different manuals because those pages in the one that i have are about the radio. unfortunately, the only one that i have, i downloaded from the internet because the vehicle didn't have one when i bought it. i have followed the calibration instructions several times, but can not get it to register. it acts as if its not even there.

Have a look at this site: http://manualspace.com/ford-explorer-2002-owners-manual.htm
Can you set the zone according to the area, where you live? That must be your first step. If you can't get this to work, check if your unit at the rear view mirror has got power at all. When you have set the zone, then you can start with the calibration. You need to check the display at the compass. If you use a pin, stick it in the small hole in the unit behind the mirror. Hold it in place and you will see the zone display. Release the pin for a moment and then tap your way to the zone you need. Then go to the open space and stick the pin in the same hole again but leave it in the position when the "zone" appears in the display. A few seconds later the calibration appears. That is the moment, when you drive very slow in a perfect circle. It worked fine for me. And I hope it will also work for you. Good luck.

Back