Compass Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Compass Problem

dKrum

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Hi Guys! This is my first post on this forum.

I have a new (for me) 2002 Explorer Limited with a compass that reads out on the dash by the trip computer. The problem is that the compass always says that I am going west or nortwest, regardless of what direction I am really traveling. Any ideas about what has gone wrong, or how to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn, compass and thermometer on my 96 are working perfect.

The owners manual has the steps necessary for compass calibration. It's a combination of buttons on the dash and the receiver under the rear view mirror.

Is it possible that it is something as simple as calibration?

Most likely. If it wasn't working at all then it would be something else.

Calibration worked! Thanks for the help!

My '02 showed "S" or "SE" constantly when I bought it. Calibration did the trick. :thumbsup:

Has anyone had to re-calibrate on more than one occasion? My 02' is off again stuck on NE or NW and this will the the third time I have had to calibrate in little over a year

I've never had to recalibrate mine in 4 years but maybe it would need to be if I changed zones.

I've never had to recalibrate mine in 4 years but maybe it would need to be if I changed zones.

I would think the oonly time it would need to be recalibrated would be if the battery were disconnected for a period of time (possibly), or if the Earth's magnetic poles drifted or reversed directions (pray that doesn't happen!). :D

Compass - Ford Explorer 2004 EB

On my 2004 Ford Exp EB there is no direction displayed in Message center, I have tried to follow compass calibration steps (Pressed button on compass behind mirror) as per the manual and no luck, does not give me a message to select zone or anything.

Any other tips?

Thanks!!

Has anyone had to re-calibrate on more than one occasion? My 02' is off again stuck on NE or NW and this will the the third time I have had to calibrate in little over a year
I recalibrated mine when I first bought it and had to do it one other time.

Back