Compatibility of 2nd Generation Explorer Limited Options with XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Compatibility of 2nd Generation Explorer Limited Options with XLT

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
I'm sure this has been covered over various threads but I'd like to ask again. What is the compatibility of various 2nd Generation Explorer Limited Trim level options with the XLT such as

Center console trip computer
Digital Air conditioning controls
Rear Parking Sensors
Limited Steering Wheel with Airbag (99/2001 style)

Are these items just plug and play or is it a bit more difficult?

Thanks in advance

The wiring harnesses are different for the trim levels. It's possible to change various wiring, but it's complicated for some things, and so much with others. Depending on the purpose, it may be easiest to get the harnesses with the feature items, and swaps the wires as modular parts. The dash has separate wiring, there's one for the inside body, each door has one, the engine bay, plus the engine/trans, and frame harness. I think for the items you mentioned, 99% of the differences are in the dash and body harnesses. There are a small number of wires in the engine bay for the EATC, a forward sensor and the blower motor connector for sure. I knew a member who put the EATC in a 99 Sport XLT, it took the AC boxes and the door actuator from the EATC truck also.

Basically it is wiring, a little or a lot for which items you choose.

Here's an almost intact dash harness from a 98 Limited. I had to remove the ARC suspension wires from it to add to my 99.

Attachments

• Projectthread063.JPG
    Projectthread063.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 79

Thanks for the reply. I definitely think that if I add a new additional to the stable that I am thinking about this is something that I'll want to do.

Want to change the XLT manual controls to the digital controls from a 00+ Limited
Want to add the center console trip computer from an 00+ limited
Change the old style 2nd gen steering wheel to the newer style steering wheel from 00+ limited

So guess I would need a list of parts needed and to understand exactly what I would need to take apart to accomplish such a task.

Thanks in advance

I presume you want the two spoke steering wheel, which has controls for the radio and EATC. Those began in 1998, and prior to that the displays were blue. So any from 98-01 are almost interchangeable. There were wiring changes from 98 to 99, mainly due to requirements like the fuel tank sensor system. So 98 parts like those you mentioned are the same as the 99-01 parts.

For the value of these trucks and costs, if you don't have it yet, you might also be looking for the 98-01 Limited's or other high optioned trucks. The top Mountaineers have everything but the memory seat. Lot's of the 99-01's had the very large fender flares, while 95-98's flares were kind of rare and an option. I got the 98 Limited's because I didn't want the flares at all.

Back