• Register Today It's free!

Compatible Tuner

Silent

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Eddie Bauer
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8 AWD and im trying to find a tuner.

I have looked at superchips and on their site it doesnt even list explorer in the vehicle selector but yet on other sites it says that its compatible with the explorer.

I have also looked at the SCT X3 and im not sure its compatible either. It says in the manual its only compatible with 97-06 explorer 4.0/4.6L and I have a 5.0.

Does anyone know which tuner would be compatible?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, SCT is/was a division of Superchips.
You're looking in the right direction, with the Xcal3.
I'm pretty sure it is compatible with the 5.0L, for custom tuning. However, I'm not sure that SCT ( www.sctflash.com ) offers a "canned" tune for it, which would explain why it's not listed in the product applications guide.
I know SCT has also introduced several other tuning devices that are a bit "fancier" than the Xcal3, that you may want to look into. (LiveWire, and the TouchScreen Extreme)
Talk to James @ Henson Performance ( www.hensonperfromance.com )

First, SCT is/was a division of Superchips.
You're looking in the right direction, with the Xcal3.
I'm pretty sure it is compatible with the 5.0L, for custom tuning. However, I'm not sure that SCT ( www.sctflash.com ) offers a "canned" tune for it, which would explain why it's not listed in the product applications guide.
I know SCT has also introduced several other tuning devices that are a bit "fancier" than the Xcal3, that you may want to look into. (LiveWire, and the TouchScreen Extreme)
Talk to James @ Henson Performance ( www.hensonperfromance.com )

x2 the x-cal 3 will work just fine. Talk to james and he'll set you up with some custom tunes that are far better than the canned tunes. (a couple of tunes are included with the puchase of an x-cal 3, livewire, etc.)

jet makes a tuner for explorers your year im pertty sure, and so does hypertech, although i would recommend hypertech because i got a jet for my 99 ex and it made the tranny start to miss third, when i took the trans tune off it stopped doing it...

well im like 99% sure jet made the trans go, it turns out it was a mechanical failure (band or planetary set) which means it was prob shifting too hard, so im gonna try to get them to take the chip back, ill check into sct too, does it help at all with your mpg? i have to drive 6 hrs every weekedn

Best chip/programmer option for '96 Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV

I want to improve the performance on my SUV. I have no experience with these devices. Which SCT or other devices would work best for my '96 explorer 4.0L V6 OHV?

I found some answers in another thread. Thanks

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8 AWD and im trying to find a tuner.

I have looked at superchips and on their site it doesnt even list explorer in the vehicle selector but yet on other sites it says that its compatible with the explorer.

I have also looked at the SCT X3 and im not sure its compatible either. It says in the manual its only compatible with 97-06 explorer 4.0/4.6L and I have a 5.0.

Does anyone know which tuner would be compatible?

Thanks
I would do other mods first like exhaust and TMH Loose the water pump fan and put electric fan kit big difference on my truck

Back