Complete engine Rebuild | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complete engine Rebuild

I still think:

6279Ax is the jackshaft front sprocket retaining TTY bolt
6279Bx is the passenger side camshaft sprocket retaining bolt (left hand threads)
6279Cx is the driver side camshaft sprocket retaining bolt (right hand threads)

The jackshaft rear sprocket retaining TTY bolt (W703167S430) is not shown in the drawing. Thanks for the link. I'll use it to update my part number post.

Looks like the passenger side tensioner has a very very small oil leak and its dripping on the exhaust manifold. Do you know the torque spec of this tensioner? I want to replace it myself with a new tensioner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

passenger hydraulic tensioner

Right timing chain tensioner 7U3Z6K254A
Tensioner metal O ring XU2Z6M252AA

Test the movement of the new tensioner with your thumb to make sure the return spring is good and it doesn't bind in the extended or retracted positions. Oil the piston before installation.

Make sure the tensioner sealing face, the washer/compression ring (if used) and the mating surface on the head are clean.

The compression ring will fall out of position when installing the tensioner resulting in an oil leak. I used wheel bearing grease to keep it in position - others have used gasket sealer.

If using a new washer/compression ring torque the tensioner to 32 ft-lbs. If reusing the old washer/compression ring or none torque the tensioner to 49 ft-lbs. Torque the tensioner from the engine compartment if possible. Otherwise, torque the tensioner thru the wheel well realizing that the torque reading will be inaccurate if the wrench is not perpendicular to the axis of the socket.

Rear Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Right timing chain tensioner 7U3Z6K254A
Tensioner metal O ring XU2Z6M252AA

Test the movement of the new tensioner with your thumb to make sure the return spring is good and it doesn't bind in the extended or retracted positions. Oil the piston before installation.

Make sure the tensioner sealing face, the washer/compression ring (if used) and the mating surface on the head are clean.

The compression ring will fall out of position when installing the tensioner resulting in an oil leak. I used wheel bearing grease to keep it in position - others have used gasket sealer.

If using a new washer/compression ring torque the tensioner to 32 ft-lbs. If reusing the old washer/compression ring or none torque the tensioner to 49 ft-lbs. Torque the tensioner from the engine compartment if possible. Otherwise, torque the tensioner thru the wheel well realizing that the torque reading will be inaccurate if the wrench is not perpendicular to the axis of the socket.

Rear Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Perfect thanks! Do you know what socket size the tensioner head is? I tried 1 1/16 and the bolt is still too big.

I thought it was 27mm, homedepot only went up to 22mm so I was hoping 1" 1/16 would work. Anyways I got it off, put on a new tensioner, torqued up to spec, and no more leaks! Explorer is working like new again!

Back