Complete engine Rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complete engine Rebuild

Saik

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
So my 2004 ford explorer (4.0L SOHC V6) crapped out on me. Mechanic diagnosed either a jumped timing chain or broken timing chain.

Funny thing was it was working flawlessly when I parked the explorer at Homedepot, and a few minutes later I came back to start it up that's when it refused to start.

Fuel, Spark, and electrical checked out. There's no codes being thrown out.

I just got a couple dumb questions

When they rebuild the engine do they have to remove the ATF Fluid?

Do I also need to replace the coolant?

I already got the parts for the rebuild, new timing chain kit, and gaskets. I might as well replace some worn out parts while the engine is out. If the pistons, valves, and head is damaged I will have them replace that as well.

Hopefully there is no damage since it was running flawlessly with no obvious fault before it crapped out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello to answer your questions no they will not have to drain the Transmission
to remove your engine. The antifreeze on the other hand will need to be drained if its new it could be reused but its better to replace it. Hope that helps you out.

Just went through this with my truck. I had a broken timing chain guide rail. good luck.

rebuild or replace

The SOHC V6 is an expensive engine to rebuild - especially if you have to pay a mechanic to do it rather than doing it yourself. I would have checked the damage before ordering replacement parts. It's very possible the valves are bent and must be replaced. That may also require new valve guides. A special (expensive) tool is required to compress the valve springs just as the timing tool kit is needed to time the camshafts. Often it is cheaper to just replace the engine with one from a salvage yard to reduce labor costs.

I 2nd that. The mechanic initially intended to rebuild the engine and after a few weeks of f'in off decided to just get a replacement motor.

I would replace the engine if there were any engines to replace it with. Living on a island in the middle of nowhere doesn't give you much options.

Hopefully there is no damage to the valves and pistons as the explorer was running PERFECTLY before this happened. It happened while it was parked. I do not believe the timing guide broke during driving, but I'll know for sure in a few days.

Right now they are quoting me 21.5 hours to do the job. At $65 an hour. I buy all the parts as the parts here in Guam are unbelievable. $820 for a timing chain kit at NAPA, and over $1000+ at the Ford Dealership. I found the same one online for $150 shipped overnight express.

Just a quick update

Heads, valves, and pistons are all okay. Just as I thought the timing chain guide broke while it was parked and not running.

Now I need help. I need to find the following parts

rear camshaft circualr plug
Right head camshaft bolt

Rockauto.com isn't very helpful

OEM part numbers

Cover assy/rear of block jackshaft opening plug F77Z6026AB
I just realized that I don't have the part number for the right camshaft sprocket retaining bolt. Why do you need one? It is not T-T-Y like the jackshaft sprocket retaining bolt.

I use Tascaparts.com for OEM parts. If you give them your VIN they'll make sure the part is correct before shipping.

Yep Tasca got me the parts I needed Thanks!

There's actually 2 so I got both of them just incase

F77Z-6279-CB
F77Z-6279-AD

6279 a, b & c

I still think:

6279Ax is the jackshaft front sprocket retaining TTY bolt
6279Bx is the passenger side camshaft sprocket retaining bolt (left hand threads)
6279Cx is the driver side camshaft sprocket retaining bolt (right hand threads)

The jackshaft rear sprocket retaining TTY bolt (W703167S430) is not shown in the drawing. Thanks for the link. I'll use it to update my part number post.

So your guide rail broke? Thats exactly what happened to me. Is this a common issue on these trucks?

I think it is 6279-B that I needed, as the mechanic said he needed a passenger side bolt

Yeah the guide rail broke and jumped a teeth. Luckily it slipped while it was parked, and there was no damage to the valves or head. Here's one of the symptoms I received before it breaking.

Last oil change I did, I notice large pieces of plastic in the oil pan, had no idea what it was. (It was the rail guide). I also noticed on startups I can hear a chain rattling inside, but it would go away after the car warmed up a bit.

Just got my Explorer back today, and wow it drives awesome! It feels like a brand new engine, and MPG seems to be better

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratz. You seem to have had a bit more luck than i did. I did have valve and head damage and my transmission shifted like crap when I got it back. and I have a busted O2 sensor that needed to be replaced once it was all back together. I'm guessing some of those problems could be attributed to the dude at the shop having the truck sitting in his parking lot for a little over 2 months.

Back