• Register Today It's free!

Complete the black band on Sport?

ieee_raider

Reaction score
City, State
Paris, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Can't decide if this looks crazy or cool.
Since I tinted my windows, it feels like the ex is calling for the "black band" to be completed...
Before:
IMAG0801_zps20e4aaac.jpg

After (very crude drawing):
IMAG0801b_zpsa5a010cb.jpg

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No as well.

I say no, but run out and grab some cheap vinyl and throw some on to see how it looks. If you don't like it, remove it. If you do like it, get some better quality stuff and have at it.

I also have to say no, what you should look into is getting the black on both sides of the windshield done red.

I think that would be a nicer look. But again just my opinion.

Not a fan of that look. should paint the door handles black

it DOES seem to increase the 'rake' of the roof though...

I'm sort of 50-50 on it... you will be unique...
(until we all decide we like it and do it ourselves !!!)
but agree with the suggestion to try it cheaply...
it may be very different in real life :)

and so far, we can still do what WE want to do to our property !

Not a fan of the floating roof. I wrapped my front pillars in silver vinyl, and black matte vinyl on the rear pillars as well as the in between the front and rear windows.

96abf71f-26a7-49c5-a110-16ecbdcc4aa1_zpsf5fa9628.jpg

I wouldnt IMO. Something I thought might look good is the matte black on the hood like the silver one in this thread.

Not a fan of the floating roof. I wrapped my front pillars in silver vinyl, and black matte vinyl on the rear pillars as well as the in between the front and rear windows.

96abf71f-26a7-49c5-a110-16ecbdcc4aa1_zpsf5fa9628.jpg

Looking good can we see more pics, maybe start a thread no to jack this one

I think it would look good....lengthen the truck out. Mask it off and try it with plastidip stuff.

hmmmm i bet I have enough vinyl from doing my door handles to do this out just to see how it looks. I have a feeling though it won't quite look as good. The factory blacked out A and B pillars are recessed in a bit and designed shape wise to flow with the blacked out window areas. The big bulging C pillar was designed to stand out as separate from the windows, so making it black may stand out a bit.

Interesting though, if I have enough extra vinyl I'll try this and take a pic.

I wouldnt IMO. Something I thought might look good is the matte black on the hood like the silver one in this thread.

I'm already planning that! Don't know how best to cut the right shape though.
I was going to try with the 3M 1080 Auto Vinyl

hmmmm i bet I have enough vinyl from doing my door handles to do this out just to see how it looks. I have a feeling though it won't quite look as good. The factory blacked out A and B pillars are recessed in a bit and designed shape wise to flow with the blacked out window areas. The big bulging C pillar was designed to stand out as separate from the windows, so making it black may stand out a bit.

Interesting though, if I have enough extra vinyl I'll try this and take a pic.

Do it and post pics, Even if wouldn't do it it will be interesting to see the outcome :)

I'm already planning that! Don't know how best to cut the right shape though.
I was going to try with the 3M 1080 Auto Vinyl

Get some tracing paper and place it on the hood. You can then transfer to the back side of the vinyl. Leave some room at the top by the windshield so you can wrap underneath the hood.

looked at it a bit closer today and held the vinyl up. the taper of the rear window would require the vinyl to go out in a skinny strip to square off that edge and keep a straight line across the top, and at the rear window it would require the vinyl be tucked underneath the glass to keep the black look and not have a white line. And the vinyl has an orange peel look in sheets that big where the factory stuff is orange peel free and a perfect reflection. Really don't think it'll turn out good, not sure I want to waste 2' of vinyl to test it out any further when I've only got about 3' left.

NO! Lets not get overboard creative.

...maybe a hood scoop...on the roof. :D

Did mine in carbon fibre Vinyl

20130430_110755_zpsa192b4be.jpg

20130430_110746_zps88972a80.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back