• Register Today It's free!

Completed manual TCASE swap 1350

9sport6

Reaction score
City, State
Canterbury, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
Last week my 4 wheel drive stopped working......I had two ranger tcases laying in my garage luckily....both were 1350s.....one had the same rear output style.....a plate with 4 threaded holes.....i used this one.....The front output is a slip yoke but all i had to do was swap the front universal from my front shaft to thie ranger shaft.....the linkage required a little fabrication......I simply made a bracket that bolted to the tranny...and the necessary space backwards the linkage plate bolted to it....a simple hole in the floor and a hurst shift boot and it looks almost stock from inside.....then i just welded a longer stud on the shift mechanism on the tcase for a easy fit......ill get pictures up as soon as my digital cam. starts working right again>>>(why is everyone in such desperate need of a 1354....?) im 17 and i managed the fab work and it cost 20$ for a shift boot ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice work! I was very close to just breaking down and doing a 1350. But I found a deal on a complete 1354 and went that route. The reason I was holding out for a 1354 was because of age mostly. Most 1350s were from 84/85 BIIs.. that's a lot of years on the road and a lot of miles.

The function of 1350's would only hold you back if you were running a TTB or Solid Axle setup (which is why the 1354 was born anyways).

Let's see some pics! :cool:

why would it hold me back......i was already collecting parts for a sas .....did i just mess things up?

Well the front receiver of the case where the shaft slips in I guess hinders the flexibility of the front diffy from the tcase. Which isn't a problem with your SLA suspesion. But when you go SAS.. you might notice it limits you. But maybe not.. thats just what I've picked up from reading.

I'm actually in the process of doing the exact same thing. I just need to pick up the rest of my parts from my brother in law in Ohio. Got any pics of the modifications you made to the front driveshaft? Also, did you have any length problems with the ranger driveshaft?

the only modification to the ranger driveshaft was putting the explorer front u joint in it

the problem im having now is that i cant lock the front end.... every said just use the switch but nothing happens..... am i going to have to run a custom switch to the front actuator?

9sport6 said:
The front output is a slip yoke but all i had to do was swap the front universal from my front shaft to thie ranger shaft

hey great job!

I just got a 1354 that has a yoke on the front (wasnt expecting this but this is what i have now so im going with it) and my 4405 has the CV type on the front. so i'll need to do the same front-output swap that you did.

my question is, how did you get the 4405's output out? the yoke is bolted onto the output shaft via a large nut, but the CV one doesnt have the same nut on the front!

thanks!

9sport6 said:
the problem im having now is that i cant lock the front end.... every said just use the switch but nothing happens..... am i going to have to run a custom switch to the front actuator?

Aldive I think has a writeup on how to control ur front vacuum disconnects.

IZwack said:
Aldive I think has a writeup on how to control ur front vacuum disconnects.

Actually, it's JDraper (clicky).

AH Mr. Draper, yes yes.. my fault!

IZwack said:
hey great job!

I just got a 1354 that has a yoke on the front (wasnt expecting this but this is what i have now so im going with it) and my 4405 has the CV type on the front. so i'll need to do the same front-output swap that you did.

my question is, how did you get the 4405's output out? the yoke is bolted onto the output shaft via a large nut, but the CV one doesnt have the same nut on the front!

thanks!

i wouldn't go through all the trouble of trying to convert the output of the 1354 to a CV... just get a 91-94 front driveshaft that has the double cardan type CV joint instead, thats what I did when I did my swap...

The original is on top and the 91-94 style is on the bottom....
img_3705.jpg

yeah i think thats what ill do, thx!

thx also for the pix!

Hey Nick, can you please post a closer shot of the t-case end of the shaft for the 1354 (the double cardian end)? I just need to get an idea of what that end looks like. I mean if its not too much trouble - if you're not able to, then its okay, thanks anyway!

IZwack said:
Hey Nick, can you please post a closer shot of the t-case end of the shaft for the 1354 (the double cardian end)? I just need to get an idea of what that end looks like. I mean if its not too much trouble - if you're not able to, then its okay, thanks anyway!
here you go....

Attachments

• IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 371

Thanks NIck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back