Component Questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Component Questions

I already have amps installed, I'm thinking of running one of my amps to the components instead of subs, instead of bridging for each sub. I'm wondering what I need to do to hook the components up to the amp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What amp is it? I can try to help you out from there.

It's a Sony XM-752EQX.. I assume that's enough power to run a set of components to a good level.

That should be plenty for right now.

I was thinking since you had it hooked up to a sub, that it might be a monoblock amp, but you can use that amp for your components too. Basically, just leave everything hooked up.. You can switch around the RCAs in the back of the HU so your new sub amp can hook up where the old one did. Leave the RCAs in the back of that amp where they are, they're fine.

After that, basically just run some regular speaker wire from the back of the amp, up to where the components would be. Simple stuff.

Wow, I thought it required a lot more than that. So what are the 5 slots for on the crossovers? I'm also getting an 800 watt Audiobahn amp for my subs, so I'll have 2 Sony amps, could I hook one side of components to one amp, and vice versa? Or would that be too much power?

Should be 6 slots on the xover.

One set will take + and - from the amp, the other two sets you'll run speaker wire from and into your components. It'll be easier once you see everything in person.

Just think of the crossover as a divider. Basically it just separates the tweeter signal from the midbass signal, and delivers it to their respective driver.

Also, what you could do is just mount the crossovers near the amp, and just run speaker wire from there up through your truck, and into the components.. Just make sure everything is labeled + and -, and tweet or mid.

Also, I don't think you'll need more than your single sony for those components.. It would be hard to match up the amps so the sound came out exactly the same anyway.

If you feel like you need more power going to them, or if you feel like the sq could get a little better, just pick up another 2ch amp that'll do 100wrms per channel. The only amp I've run for speakers is an xtant amp, and that thing is super clean. There might be better out there, but I've never used anything other than that.

Just ask around and get some opinions.

www.caraudioforums.com is a good place to start.

Alright thanks for all your help. You seem to be very knowlegable and I thank you for that. I'll be getting the CDT components you linked me to, and with this new acclaimed knowledge of mine, I feel I'll get through this installation with ease. Thanks again!

Edited my last post.. Forgot to add in the dual amp portion.

Goodluck with it all, it sounds like you're going to get bitten by the bug if you haven't already. It's fun, but it gets expensive :p

LoL yes, and I'm also going to be lifting soon.. I just remembered the amp I won is a single channel, so I can't run both my subs now can I? It's OK if not, I don't mind switching to a single.

It has two channels, they're just bridged internally. You can hook both speakers up to it and be fine, there will be 2 pairs of inputs for speaker wire.

Here is a link to Rockford Fosgate's WiringWizard.. Input the number of subs, and whether it's one or two voice coils, and the impedance.

It will help you figure out how to put which load on the amp so you send more power to your speakers, or less if they can't handle it.

Ok. Wrong amp pic, the names are so close to each other. I'm all set now!

Back