• Register Today It's free!

Component speakers

Harken

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
With all the different ones available, what ones to buy?

If JL Audio makes such nice amps what about their top of the line component speakers "JL Audio 300/4"? Are they just good or great?
Are the Alpines "SPS-571A" any good?
Or the Boston Acoustics "RC820"?

And I'm sure that I am missing a whole bunch more.

Ok, questions for the experts, which ones do YOU recomend?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would go with Focal... they are so great!!!!! i suggest the 165 kp line they are the speakers with the yellow cone... later

Focal

According to the writeups and specs, seems like the Focal components are "top of the line" for SQ. Im looking at the 130KP ($259.00) and 165KP ($364.00).
Is there a BIG difference between the two? They spec out pretty close. Of course the 165 can reproduce to 60Hz where the 130 goes to 70Hz. The subwoofer can take care of that. Wouldnt the 130KP be a better buy?
These will go in the front doors and the Bostons will go in the rear.

BTW, I plan on using a JL 300/4 amp. I already have Boston Acoustics in the front doors, factory originals in the rear and my sub is a JL 10W1 in a stealth box. powered by an Alpine MRP-M350.

i believe the only difference between those are the size... the 130's are a 5.25 inch driver w/ a tweeter and the 165's are a 6.5 inch driver w/ a tweeter... i would go w/ the 165's because it has a bigger driver and it can take more power...later

What about an amp?

Im looking at the JL 300/4. Think this will push those Focal 165's nicely?

Another one I'm looking at is the Alpine MRV-F540.....

From what I've read, the JL is one of the best available.

Coments?

I consider JL amps to be overpriced. $600 for a 300w amp is crazy. I'm sure they're good and all, but it seems a little overboard for components. I believe the Alpine is also the same price. Either of those amps would work though.

I personally like MBQuart stuff. Best speakers I've ever owned (if a bit on the expensive side).

What size fits best?

I'm favoring the Focal 165KP component speakers so far. I need to go to my local dealer and check em out. E-Bay has great deals on these.

What size fits better in my front doors, the 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" mids?
Then, where is the best place for the tweeters? I have seen/heard of different places. One idea I like is where the round vent is on the dash corners. Seems like a good idea to get the reflected sound off the windshield. Comments?

Also has anyone used the JL 300/4 matched with these? Is it enough power?

Thanks guys...

that amp will provide plenty of power for any of those components.

The focal or mbquart models will give you more for your $ than the alpine or boston, and far more than the jl.

Those prices your looking at are full retail though, i'm sure you shoudl be able to find them somewhere much cheaper even with a warranty.

also, the 6.5" will fit fine in the explorers front doors and woudl be the better choice.

Got the Amp

Yesterday I bought the JL 300/4 amplifier. Tomorrow I'm taking it in to my local guy and see about getting it installed. The only location I can see it going is under the rear seat with a riser seperating it from the floor.

Seems what they have to do is run wires from the HU obviously then tap into the Exporers existing harness somewhere between the factory amp and speakers. Obviously disabling the factory amp. Also running a 4 gauge wire to the battery and one to ground.

Sound right so far? Im not sure if my guy might suggest running better wire from the amp to the speakers or not. Seems utilizing the existing wires would be more efficient and adequate?

Now to address speakers. I have done some research and been studying the differences between:
Focal 165K2P ($359.00)
Boston Pro Series 6.5 ($285.00)
Diamond Audio Hex S600A ($319.00)

So far the pricing seems very close on all three and they all spec pretty close. Since I cant find a shop with any of these on their sound boards together and since a sound room and a vehicle have much different accoustics, its impossible to determine which one would sound best. The best test would be to try each one in my vehicle but of course who has the money for all that? I dont. So what I have done is inquired with some of you guys who have had these speakers and decide based on your personal experience, the specs and my gut feeling. Yeah speakers are a very personal choice and when you audition them they never sound the same when you own them.
The ones that look most attractive to me right now are the Diamond Audio Hex S600A.

Any and all comments / suggestions are apreciated.

Sincerely,
Andrew (97 XLT / stereo under construction)

First time poster here....here's a page I did when I first put in a set of Bostons in my '94 EB.
http://www.morrisonphotographics.com/caraudio/
I figured out I hated the sound of the Boston's tweeters and replaced them with a 3-way Dynaudio set that I LOVE. They're a little pricey, but they are the smoothest sounding set I've ever had. I went through a set of a/d/s (my old favorites), Diamond Audio (way bright), and the Bostons (also bright) but the Dyns are smooth and effortless. Sorry this page is so lame, but I was in a hurry.

dave

Re: Got the Amp

Originally posted by Harken

Now to address speakers. I have done some research and been studying the differences between:
Focal 165K2P ($359.00)
Boston Pro Series 6.5 ($285.00)
Diamond Audio Hex S600A ($319.00)

So far the pricing seems very close on all three and they all spec pretty close. Since I cant find a shop with any of these on their sound boards together and since a sound room and a vehicle have much different accoustics, its impossible to determine which one would sound best. The best test would be to try each one in my vehicle but of course who has the money for all that? I dont. So what I have done is inquired with some of you guys who have had these speakers and decide based on your personal experience, the specs and my gut feeling. Yeah speakers are a very personal choice and when you audition them they never sound the same when you own them.
The ones that look most attractive to me right now are the Diamond Audio Hex S600A.

Any and all comments / suggestions are apreciated.

Sincerely,
Andrew (97 XLT / stereo under construction)

Since u have another post with this exact question in it, in which i replied, but u seem to have abandoned it.. i will cut and paste my reply here:

Having auditioned every pair in that set of choice i ended up going with the Diamond Audio Hex 600's

I, however, chose the S600s (the silk tweeter). You have to listen to the 600a to fully understand how incredibly bright the Alum tweet on the DA set is. The Alum tweeter is way to harsh (at least for my ears). Even the silk tweeters are quitre bright, so much that i have set the attenuation on the Xover to -2db.

I dont know if u have ever listened to any MB quarts speakers, but they are notorious for bright (often considered harsh) tweets, the Diamonds Alum tweets are brighter than those!.

With that being said, I highly recommend the Hex S600s for their natural and smooth sound and with the silk tweet the highs are smooth and bright with zero harshness. The midbass is also sufficient. If installed in a well damped/sound deadened door or in proper kick panels, they can play down to 65hz with authority. Many people say that these speakers are some of the best for rock music. I listen to all genres and fulfill my needs well. From Rock to Jazz to the heavy midbass in techno, they do a great job.

I wasnt impressed with the Bostons at all, But thats the way it seems with those speakers, people either Love them, or do not like them at all (no real middle ground on those). I liked the focals as well and really enjoyed their sound. In the end i think the Hex's just possessed something more to my liking. Cant describe it tho.
You will need to listen to all of these speakers and make a decision from that, not based on what everybody else tells u, because everbodies ear is different.

Ill add to this by letting u know that the price u have on the diamond audio speakers is most likely from an online retailier like www.onlinecarstereo.com But its important to know that Diamond does not authorize the online sale of ANY of their products and, therefore, if u purchase from that website, u will not ger ANY warranty with the speakers. This MAY or MAY NOT be of any importance to you, but i know that when im buying 300+ dollar speaker set, i want it to come with a full warrenty.. Basically, even the best speaker company can produce a defective speaker.
So this is something you need to consider as well.

Well I have 2 issues here to address

1st, as far as buying speakers at half the price on the internet with no warrantee, if there is a defective component I have to replace its still less expensive then pauing full list. Gotta weigh the cost v/s inconvenience.

I thank everyone for their input on speaker choices and so far the Diamond Audio Hex's are the winning choice. Not only here but consumer evaluations on other forums as well. A close second is the Focal 165K2P's.

Now here is an installation question.....

I have a JL 300/4. My idea was to bridge it getting 150W x 2 for the front speakers and using the head unit or the ford factory amp to power the rears.
As I said before I have an Alpine 300W amp powering my JL sub (10W-1).
If the head unit or the Ford factory amp isnt enough, I could take the head unit power and run it through the Ford amp for even more. The objective is to use the beautiful clean power for the fronts and just accomodate the rears as "fill" yet have a good balance with the sub in the back.

Comments?

Dont bridge the amp because it will then be seeing a 2ohm load and will put out power that is "less" clean. Bridging channels should be reserved for use on subwoofers.

HOWEVER, what you can do is Biamp the front components (assuming your using the HEX speakers) because the X-over has a jumper inside that allows them to be bi-amped with a seperate amp (or amp channel) allowing the tweeter to be driven by one set of channels, and the midrange to be driven by a second set of channels.
The benefits are that you will now have independant control of the gains for the tweeter and the midrange, as well as more headroom on power. When you are listening at high volumes, the midbass will draw more power from the amp and often leave the highs suffering. Having them run of seperate channels will allow the tweet to operate independant of the mid on its own chunk of power.

i see that everyone is posting their opinions now-

i strongly feel that the focals are the best choice in that group.

I love this forum !

Mr. expo5.0,
Although I havent listened to the Focals v/s Diamonds, they are both neck and neck from what I have learned of reviews and specs. I hold YOUR opinions with utmost respect based upon posts authored by you. With that said I will definately looked harder at the Focal 165K2P's.

Mr. AnabolicFrolic,
I equally respect your input as well. Your help has been instrumental in my search for my final system. I just returned from my local pro audio shop who will be intalling my new amp. He strongly urges me to use the JL 300/4 to power my mains as 75w x 4. He explained that its not so much total power that will deliver great SQ but the cleanliness of the power. According to him, the JL has ample power to drive the Focal's or the Diamonds....

I listen to everything from Pink FLoyd to Hip Hop so I enjoy hearing clean, tight base yet crisp clean highs. Of course i want to hear the artist plucking the strings of his guitar, the vibration of the string and the spit in a trumpet. How else do you describe "clean"?

As a reminder Im going to list what I have and welcome suggestions.........

HU - Alpine 9811 (keeper)
JL stealth box in the rear quarter panel w/ 10-W1 sub (keeper)
JL 300/4 (keeper) to power seperates in the front and (rear?)

Currently have Boston Acoustics cheepo $100.00 (list) coax in the front and the original factory Ford speakers in the rear. The Boston Acoustics will be moved to the rear making room for the sperates in the front.

Please tell me what you guys think I should do at this point?

Thanks.

I share the same opinion as Expo I have listened to each or those sets in a respected setup and found that I would lean towards the Focal setup. Not only is it a personal preference because I want to put a set in my truck but once again performance wise they are spectacular. With proper powering you will get all that you pay for and more. I also feel the JL amp is overpriced but you already have that so stick with it as it should be ample enough to power such amazing speakers. Just have to point out that they are your ears so ultimately try to get as much listening to them in as possible before a decision.

I just spoke to the local Focal rep

HotCtyPlaya,
I agree with you 100%. I need to hear them but as I mentioned before when you hear them in the sound room the acoustics are totaly different than in any vehicle. With that said its pretty much a roll of the dice. Kinda like shopping for a television i think. When you look at the different models side by side even though they are different manufacturers but the same size, when you get the set home you would never know the difference. Kind of a laugh but thats how I see it. I do however have very descriminating taste when it comes to sound quality. So what I need to do is listen to them and rool the dice. What might sound better in the sound room might not be better in my Explorer.

As far as my earlier post regarding bridging the amp, the local Focal rep said the 75w / chanel from the JL amp would be sufficient and I would be happy with its performance since the Focals are very efficient speakers. Should I decide to experiment later, I could always cut out my rear speakers and bridge the amp delivering 150W x 2 for the Focals. By eliminating the rear speakers all together the imaging should be more accurate. Then if I decide to add rears I can power them with my head unit but they will be so under powered it might be futile but at least the option is available to me. Since I will have the JL amp wired up as 75W x 4, my options are open for little effort I can change to whatever configuration I wish.

Comments?
Does it make sense to eliminate the rears?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by AnabolicFrolic
Dont bridge the amp because it will then be seeing a 2ohm load and will put out power that is "less" clean. Bridging channels should be reserved for use on subwoofers.

You wouldn't notice a difference. As long as it's a class A/B amp it would be fine. It wouldn't however be ideal to run components on a class D or T amp.

You might want to audition those sets you mentioned as well if you can. Some of the ones you listed are considered to be pretty bright.

Edit: Oh, and yes... Don't run rear fill

Back