compressor clutch not turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

compressor clutch not turning

b_leblanc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer limited
okay i've read about thirty different pages of posts and can't find anything that really helps i have a 97 explorer limited edition 5.0v8 this past winter there was a loud clicking noise that started from in the dash, came to this website and it WAS the blend door. that problem was solved so i pulled the old one out and didn't bother with it since it was blowing hot during the winter. when i pulled the old one out, the hole that the shaft from the blend door fits into broke so a new blend door wouldn't do any good(just kept turning)(too bad i didn't know that before i spent $80 for a new one at the dealership) anyway, so i figured out that if i turned that hole with my finger that i could make the air cold, only problem was it was blowing defrost only. at least it was cold. so yesterday i started looking at it. i started the truck up and turned on max ac=cold air from defrost. i looked behind the glove compartment and FINALLY found my problem: there's a rubber piece with different colored hoses that was disconnected; reconnected it and lo and behold VENT AIR!!!!! but now it's not cold. the compressor clutch is not turning at all if i turn it on and off it doesn't matter the black cylinder on the passenger side(low side?) is not cold i bought a can of r134a with the cheap guage on it hooked it up to the low side and it said it was already full so i didn't even press the trigger i checked all of the fuses in the fuse box and they're all good. funny thing is i was never even under the hood until i tried adding freon, never touched anything in the engine compartment. is there maybe an electrical problem? i can turn the compressor clutch with my hand, but it's like it's not getting power. HELP!!! it's too hot for my 3year old son

Try checking the resistance of the two terminals on the compressor for continuity to rule out an open winding in the pullin coil.

Back