• Register Today It's free!

Compressor Cycling too often

Algar

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' Eddie Bauer
When driving with the A/C on, the compressor cycles on and off every 15-30 seconds, and you can feel the power drop just for a split second.

I have checked the pressure and this seems to be fine. Whilst the air isnt super cold, it still remains cool. I'm nervous about driving like this (just in case it causes any other issues) but it was 94' yesterday and its about time to shut the windows and stay cool.

Has anyone any ideas, Is my compressor on it's way out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are the high/low side pressures and the ambient temp?

You could be just low on refrigerant or the compressor could have a problem...I would have to bet on the first situation because the cycling on and off is usually caused by the evaporator freezing and the temperature switch opening when it senses the freeze at the evaporator...

You are not helping the compressor though by running it in this manner...Low refrigerant also means low oil circulation and that will kill the compressor quickly...

Lesson Learned

I didnt run it like that so no problem there.

Lesson of the day, never ask an idiot to do something simple.

I asked a colleague (a race car mechanic of all things) to check the freon and he said it was good and the pressure was good. After checking it myself the level was low and 24 oz of freon later we are back in business. Sorry for wasting your time.

Although, I'm guessing that i must have aleak somewhere. Any ideas how to check for this?

thanks

No waste of time...This is why most of us are here...

To help and get help from others as we need it...Hopefully to learn from your "situations" and be able to pass that knowledge along in the future...

Now I would look for any dirty, oily buildup on a hose, line, or connection...Explorers are notorius for rusting out the accumulators that are covered in insulation so I would pull the insulation back to see if that unit has any rust or corrosion on it...

Also check the hard parts; condensor, compressor nose[seal leaks], and connections at teh evaporator...If you find no dirty buildup and no leaks outside in the engine compartment then you might consider going to an a/c shop and have them check for a leak inside with a leak detector...

One other question though; How long has it been since the a/c was topped off before now? You could have a very slow leak through the pores of the rubber hoses that if there were years between the leak and the last top off finding a leak might be next to impossible...

Good luck and I am glad you found the problem easily...

Thanks for the tip,

I shall have a look into it and see what I can find. Its been a week since i topped it up and I think it might be getting low again so time to find the leak I guess. I saw some freon with sealant in it. Do you reccomend this or just find the problem first?

Is there a diagram anywhere of the A/C system so I can make sure I am looking at everything?

Thanks once again.

I would find the source of the leak...

The sealant in the refrigerant might slow the leak down but it won't fix it...And the sealant will settle in areas that you don't want sealant in...

The accumulator is probably the first item to look at...If there is any corrosion on it, that will be leak point #1... The hoses are the next point to look at and the connections on the compressor and at the compressor sealing joints are the next spots to look for...

And hopefully the evaporator doesn't have any leaking issues...

The diagram of the a/c system would be listed in any service manual...If I can find the diagram I can email or post, I will try to get it to you...

Back