COMPUTER CHIP/ PROGRAMER 1998 5.0 P code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

COMPUTER CHIP/ PROGRAMER 1998 5.0 P code

lowflyingbird

Reaction score
City, State
NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EX 5.0p
I've looked around, In search of a comuter chip or programer for a P code, 1998 or newer I guess Explorer. Thats the engine with the GT-40P heads and external EGR. Superchips makes nohing, As well as several others. I see That Hypertech makes a programer III that supposably does the 98 Explorer 5.0. Has anyone used it, If so on External EGR P heads? The Hypertech number is 41037.
PLEASE POST
Thanks
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lowflyingbird said:
I've looked around, In search of a comuter chip or programer for a P code, 1998 or newer I guess Explorer. Thats the engine with the GT-40P heads and external EGR. Superchips makes nohing, As well as several others. I see That Hypertech makes a programer III that supposably does the 98 Explorer 5.0. Has anyone used it, If so on External EGR P heads? The Hypertech number is 41037.
PLEASE POST
Thanks
Keith

Contact Doug Studdard at Bama Chips. www.bamachips.com

Good luck ....

Superchips ???

Hi,
Thankyou for replying, I dont even know what to say? I even emailed them asking about a 1998 explorer with a 5.0 with a P code engine. Supposably 98 was the first year for the gt40p, I guess thats how the code is "P". I received a return email stating that, "we do not support that vehicle at this time," and, Please check back later .
I had actually purchased a chip, not a programmer off Ebay for this application. It was a Superships. It did not work after plugging it in. The seller gave a refund (online), and stated that he would pay for return shipping, in a mailed check. I never heard back from him in reguard to the shipping payment. So, I have a superchip sitting on a shelf, Supposably for a 5.0 Explorer, But it did not work when plugged in. The vehicle would not start and gave a theft signal on the dash blinking. I can only assume that either its toast, not for a 5.0 "P" explorer ?

Like Al says, the bamma chips is the way to go. I am dissatisfied with the Superchips programmer, with my mods, the programmer works but it consumes fuel excessively. Not worth the difference to me. A SCT is in my future, but a little down the line.

I will see if I can find some info on the programmer I have.

hey speaking of that theft light WTF is up with that thing..... mine has been blinking 24/7 since i got my explorer new off the lott in 98'?

Back