• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Computer Problems - Needle In a Haystack!

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
I have been having issues with my computer lately.

Here are the specs:

• Model: Compaq Presario SR5507F
  • Processor: Athlon X2 (B) 4050e 2.1 GHz (45W)
  • Chipset: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
  • Memmory: 3GB PC2-6400 MB/sec 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Everything is on the motherboard: Graphics, Network, Sound, etc. I have nothing added.

The only hardware changes I have made is to replace the 250MB hard drive with a 1TB hard drive and upgraded from Win Vista to Win 7. I did these upgrades a long time ago with no ill effect.

It has been exhibiting the following behavior:

• Random Freezes
  • Random BSOD
  • Random Reboots

I have had the following with the BSOD:

• DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
  • PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA
  • WIN32K.SYS
  • NDIS.SYS
  • TCPIP.SYS

I have done the following while troubleshooting:

• Replaced power supply
  • Ran manufacturer diagnostics on hard drive - good to go
  • Ran Windows Memory Diags - good to go
  • Attempted recovery with Compaq Recovery Discs - froze halfway through
  • Updated drivers to most recent versions

I am at a loss. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rondo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
My g/f suggested...

Update video card driver
Update BIOS

If those don't work, update actual video card itself

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
My g/f suggested...

Update video card driver
Update BIOS

If those don't work, update actual video card itself

Thanks, Kent.

Graphics Driver & BIOS is up to date. Graphics card in on the MOBO. I will look into disabling it and installing a new one.

Problem is, I don't want to start throwing parts at it.

Ritsui

Pilot of dogcraft
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4x4
With all those symptoms and the PSU ruled out, I'd first run memtest or just replace the memory (since it's cheap). After that, it's most likely a problem with the motherboard itself. Onboard components with OEM drivers aren't likely to have these kinds of problems in software.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
With all those symptoms and the PSU ruled out, I'd first run memtest or just replace the memory (since it's cheap). After that, it's most likely a problem with the motherboard itself. Onboard components with OEM drivers aren't likely to have these kinds of problems in software.

Thanks for your input. I have run memory tests several times.

I'll look in to replacing the memory.

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
I would replace the memory with 4GB in two 2GB matched pair sticks. I have had trouble with 3GB before (a 2Gb and a 1Gb sticks).

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
I would replace the memory with 4GB in two 2GB matched pair sticks. I have had trouble with 3GB before (a 2Gb and a 1Gb sticks).

Thanks Howard. The 3MB is from the factory and has been running trouble free for 4 years.

I have some thinking to do. I appreciate everyone's help.

lesliemorris85

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Actually, we encountered that kind of problem lately and I believe there's a problem with the drivers installed. Basing this on my son-in-laws’ statement (don't worry he's a technical guy he works in a computer shop) or you just get rid of AMD and switch to Intel. :)

03 Explorer XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Granite City, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited
My thoughts were bad RAM, or a Windows update broke something.

You might want to try a system restore point dated before your trouble began.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Actually, we encountered that kind of problem lately and I believe there's a problem with the drivers installed. Basing this on my son-in-laws’ statement (don't worry he's a technical guy he works in a computer shop) or you just get rid of AMD and switch to Intel. :)

As far as I know, I have the latest drivers installed. I have spent some time making sure I have the most recent ones.

The motherboard has a Socket AM2 so Intel is not an option.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
My thoughts were bad RAM, or a Windows update broke something.

You might want to try a system restore point dated before your trouble began.

Yeah, probably.

This all started a while ago. When the problem got worse, I restored it using the factory recovery discs. Since I was still having problems after I did this, I put the original hard drive back in and attempted the factory recovery and it froze halfway through the process.

This leads me to believe it is a hardware problem.

My most recent BSOD was NTFS.SYS. I believe this is the NT File System. I think I'm going to try to re-install Win 7 over the existing installation.

I am very frustrated. I have been unemployed for almost 3 years and just don't have the money to get a new one or replace parts. That's why I was hoping it's a driver problem. :dunno:

lesliemorris85

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
This all started a while ago. When the problem got worse, I restored it using the factory recovery discs. Since I was still having problems after I did this, I put the original hard drive back in and attempted the factory recovery and it froze halfway through the process.

This leads me to believe it is a hardware problem.

My most recent BSOD was NTFS.SYS. I believe this is the NT File System. I think I'm going to try to re-install Win 7 over the existing installation.

I am very frustrated. I have been unemployed for almost 3 years and just don't have the money to get a new one or replace parts. That's why I was hoping it's a driver problem. :dunno:

Have you tried reformat your PC?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Factory recovery CD/DVDs "should" be doing a format. At least every one I've seen does it..

BigRondo:
From all your symptoms though, it sounds like its not software.. its hardware. The question though is which part. Its going to be hard to tell without being able to swap things out.

I'd be leaning towards memory (use a linux based Boot CD with a memtest like Hirmens (sp?) or some of the Linux Boot/Install Cds that have it). Next would be over heating processor. You can check that by taking the case off and putting a fan right near it.. Of course if your using something exotic like water cooling that won't help. Next I'd be looking at the Power supply but you already changed that.

~Mark

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Mark is right. The Factory Recovery Discs do a complete format of the drive before restoring it.

Most recent problem:

Monitor went blank and displayed a "floating" message that read: Frequency Out of Range

Nothing I did could get the picture back on the screen.

Should this lead me to believe that the on-board video card is the culprit?

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Got a new BSOD today:

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Looks like it's gonna be a good year. :p:

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Monitor went blank and displayed a "floating" message that read: Frequency Out of Range

That just means the monitor can't display what it is receiving. This would include "nothing". If for some reason it thinks the computer is on but the computer isn't sending anything you get this message. I even have a monitor that says that whenever the computer is off.

At this point, we can pretty much say its a h/w issue. The trick is figuring which part. I'd be leaning towards m/b related issue (since the power supply has already been changed). I'd say bad memory/processor or things are overheating.

You can rule out the h/d by dropping in a small drive just for testing. Heck, a 1 TB SATA drive is < $80 from newegg.

~Mark

lesliemorris85

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
That just means the monitor can't display what it is receiving. This would include "nothing". If for some reason it thinks the computer is on but the computer isn't sending anything you get this message. I even have a monitor that says that whenever the computer is off.

At this point, we can pretty much say its a h/w issue. The trick is figuring which part. I'd be leaning towards m/b related issue (since the power supply has already been changed). I'd say bad memory/processor or things are overheating.

You can rule out the h/d by dropping in a small drive just for testing. Heck, a 1 TB SATA drive is < $80 from newegg.

~Mark

Well said sir....

Blue91Ex

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
still could be some crazy tough malware, some types can do some wacky crap to a computer. More likely its the videocard/onboard video, over time heat from the chips can make the chips deteriorate and eventually just die. might need a new motherboard, might just need a different video card, make sure to get one with a decent fan (reviews will tell you what ones have good fans ro bad fans.) same may go for memory/ram or the processor but the athlons were pretty tough i doubt they would die unless the thermal grease between processor and heat sink (matel finned piece, most likely with a fan attached) was deteriorated, separated, or teh heatsink was clogged with dirt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
still could be some crazy tough malware, some types can do some wacky crap to a computer. More likely its the videocard/onboard video, over time heat from the chips can make the chips deteriorate and eventually just die. might need a new motherboard, might just need a different video card, make sure to get one with a decent fan (reviews will tell you what ones have good fans ro bad fans.) same may go for memory/ram or the processor but the athlons were pretty tough i doubt they would die unless the thermal grease between processor and heat sink (matel finned piece, most likely with a fan attached) was deteriorated, separated, or the heatsink was clogged with dirt.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I'm leaning toward onboard video. I'm going to shop around for a video card and see if I can disable the onboard video.