• Register Today It's free!

Computer System Faults

JP4962

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Has anyone experienced issues with their blindspot or cross traffic systems? I just got my 15' Sport back from the dealer after bringing it in for the THIRD time.

I keep getting a message on the dash showing "blindspot system fault" & "cross traffic system fault". So far the dealer has replaced sensors and an entire mirror all to no avail.

I currently have 3500 miles. I've also had a faulty seal replaced on the PTU unit, and some rear brake noise issues. I'm becoming concerned about the reliability of my new car :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the Lemon Law on them and get your money back!

Ptu leak-no
BLIS issue-no
Rear brake squeel-yes. Dealer resurfaced the rotors and noise is gone. They said the rotors were badly glazed. Not sure why but it's fine now.

...I keep getting a message on the dash showing "blindspot system fault" & "cross traffic system fault". So far the dealer has replaced sensors and an entire mirror all to no avail...

Let's get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, JP4962. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; leave the rest to me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Has anyone experienced issues with their blindspot or cross traffic systems? I just got my 15' Sport back from the dealer after bringing it in for the THIRD time.

I keep getting a message on the dash showing "blindspot system fault" & "cross traffic system fault". So far the dealer has replaced sensors and an entire mirror all to no avail.

I currently have 3500 miles. I've also had a faulty seal replaced on the PTU unit, and some rear brake noise issues. I'm becoming concerned about the reliability of my new car :(
The Blind Spot (BLIS) and Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) systems are 2 separate systems. The radar unit for the BLIS is located behind the body panel just rearward of the rear wheels. Your Owner's Guide has a diagram on that. The cross traffic alerts are generated by the sensors on the sides of the rear bumper. Replacing the mirror seems like 'a shot in the dark' to me. If the warning includes both at the same time, I would think that perhaps it may be a faulty control model. That's only a guess.

Peter

The Blind Spot (BLIS) and Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) systems are 2 separate systems. The radar unit for the BLIS is located behind the body panel just rearward of the rear wheels. Your Owner's Guide has a diagram on that. The cross traffic alerts are generated by the sensors on the sides of the rear bumper. Replacing the mirror seems like 'a shot in the dark' to me. If the warning includes both at the same time, I would think that perhaps it may be a faulty control model. That's only a guess.

Peter

The BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert use the same radar module - outermost "dots" on the bumper cover.
When my Explorer was rear ended, the damage was not severe enough to disable these two systems. After the repair shop returned my vehicle, my Explorer showed an alert for BLIS and CTA. Turns out the leftmost sensor (driver,rear) was unplugged. Plugged it back in and all was well. Both systems operated as before.
This should narrow down which sensors are not operating correctly. Could be a pinched wire or something disconnected.

The BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert use the same radar module - outermost "dots" on the bumper cover.
When my Explorer was rear ended, the damage was not severe enough to disable these two systems. After the repair shop returned my vehicle, my Explorer showed an alert for BLIS and CTA. Turns out the leftmost sensor (driver,rear) was unplugged. Plugged it back in and all was well. Both systems operated as before.
This should narrow down which sensors are not operating correctly. Could be a pinched wire or something disconnected.
From page 306 of your 2012 Owner's Guide;

The BLIS consists of two radar sensors each located rearward of the rear wheels hidden behind the bumper fascia. Do not place any type of bumper sticker in this area.
There is a diagram that shows the location of the radar unit .
Also, The BLIS does not function when the transmission is in R (Reverse) or P (Park). Your CTA bumper sensors take over when in Reverse.

Peter

From page 306 of your 2012 Owner's Guide;

The BLIS consists of two radar sensors each located rearward of the rear wheels hidden behind the bumper fascia. Do not place any type of bumper sticker in this area.
There is a diagram that shows the location of the radar unit .
Also, The BLIS does not function when the transmission is in R (Reverse) or P (Park). Your CTA bumper sensors take over when in Reverse.

Peter

I was mistaken with identifying the dots as the sensor used. The four dots are used for the reversing sensing system.

According to this pdf file from Ford:

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2013/07/19/Safe/BLIS.pdf

BLIS does work in conjunction with CTA and both use the same sensor.

Let's get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, JP4962. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; leave the rest to me. :thumbsup:

Crystal
Im hoping Ford can help me too. I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport, 12,000 miles. I've had a break squeal since I leased the vehicle. Each time I bring it in, they say its normal for it to happen. Its very frustrating. In addition, we are on our way to Cape May, NJ and we got an on screen alert about the blind spot monitoring systems having a fault. The driver side blind spot monitoring light is on constantly now. I hope someone can help.

Im hoping Ford can help me too. I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport, 12,000 miles. I've had a break squeal since I leased the vehicle. Each time I bring it in, they say its normal for it to happen. Its very frustrating. In addition, we are on our way to Cape May, NJ and we got an on screen alert about the blind spot monitoring systems having a fault. The driver side blind spot monitoring light is on constantly now. I hope someone can help.
I suggest that you send a Private Message to FordService by using the "Start a Conversation" option you see when you click on their name in the margin of their post. Provide the info asked for in their "Quote" that you posted.
Also, do you still have the 2005 XLT shown in your profile? If not please update or add the Sport to a 'Signature' if you do. Thanks.

Peter

Thank you for the PM, tommyk203! I sent you a response.

I suggest that you send a Private Message to FordService by using the "Start a Conversation" option you see when you click on their name in the margin of their post. Provide the info asked for in their "Quote" that you posted.
Also, do you still have the 2005 XLT shown in your profile? If not please update or add the Sport to a 'Signature' if you do. Thanks.

Peter
Thank you for the mention, peterk9!!

Deysha

Back