Concern about the A/C system in a 1993 Aerostar. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Concern about the A/C system in a 1993 Aerostar.

Blackbeard

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Aerostar
Hey everybody. (Welcome post over in the New Member Forum) I am looking at a 93 Aerostar and found this message board while doing research. Its got 131k miles, 3.0L, stretch, and the guy wants $900 for it. Problem is the AC is out. I've searched on this board and read some horror stories about the AC system. I'm marginally mechanically adept...Can do most of the common things, but the Aerostar looks like more of a challenge. And I don't have a thousand extra dollars to blow having a mechanic replace lots of stuff. Do y'all have any thoughts? The owner says the mechanic replaced a pulley and recharged the system. It worked for a few months and quit blowing cold again. Then the mechanic said the compressor died.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice/warnings you can give! :thumbsup:

Welcome to this forum! Since the A/C worked for a few months, I would suggest that you check the pressure before you replace anything. It's possible that there might be a leak, and now it's not turning on since it has a low charge. One common area which leaks is the accumulator. Remove some of the foam insulation, and look for signs of fluorescent dye (assuming that the previous mechanic added it). I had a slow leak after replacing my accumulator. It was coming from the high pressure test port opposite the low pressure test port.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did buy it last night because it ran so well, has had this second owner since 1995 and 20k miles, and got it for $700 with 131k miles. I figured the AC gamble was worth it. I will check out what you suggested this weekend.

Back