• Register Today It's free!

Concern in my future!

Cappu73

Reaction score
City, State
Vail, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explore XLT 4WD
I just get my 2016 ford Explore XLT (FFV) 4WD from the dealership back in Denver Colorado, and I just read all those reviews about The now infamous "wrench" light came on and the vehicle would only idle at about 2 mph. No response to the gas peddle. Because of the throttle body, I'm asking this because the road back and forward from the Rockies is brutal and really dangerous in the wintertime. So I want to be sure is safe for my self & my family because all the reviews say something about lost power or speed in the SUV ... That's my big concern if I'm gonna put my family in danger because of this "throttle body" part from Ford, any help most appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine does your Explorer have?

It's goes into "safe mode" if any of the tps numbers are out of range or askew at all. That way it won't speed out of control if something shorts out. Pretty much all vehicles with an electric throttle body work like this regardless of brand.

I just get my 2016 ford Explore XLT from the dealership back in Denver Colorado, and I just read all those reviews about The now infamous "wrench" light came on and the vehicle would only idle at about 2 mph. No response to the gas peddle. Because of the throttle body, I'm asking this because the road back and forward from the Rockies is brutal and really dangerous in the wintertime. So I want to be sure is safe for my self & my family because all the reviews say something about lost power or speed in the SUV ... That's my big concern if I'm gonna put my family in danger because of this "throttle body" part from Ford, any help most appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If I'm understanding your post correctly, you don't have a throttle body (TB) problem right now but are worried about a possible future failure. Is that right?
A different throttle body is being used now and I believe was put on the later 2016 models. You can always have the dealer check to see if yours is one of those that requires a PCM reflash or not. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ttle-body-problems.444245/page-8#post-3571207
Also, please add XLT to your profile for the Explorer so it shows in the margin. That can be helpful info at times when replying to posts. Thanks.

Peter

The engine is important here. The throttle bodies are different parts.

For a certain subset of Explorers, Ford upgraded their guidance to omit the PCM reflash and replace the throttle body straightaway. No PCM reflash is required for ANY Gen 5 Explorer anymore, and the TB replacements are more automatic.

But this depends on the engine, like I said, as the TBs are different parts throughout the Explorer line.

Back