Concern over 1st production year of new design | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Concern over 1st production year of new design

marc515

Reaction score
City, State
Brick, NJ
Since the 2011 Explorer is a new design, I have some concerns with reliability, and usually like to wait a year or two till all the bugs are worked out.

Some new designs have really had some serious issues over the years.

Does anyone else have similar concerns?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've have experienced those problems myself. If you would like to know, I'll tell you all the problems I had ever since I took it off the driveway.

Absolutely. We already have another thread on this very topic. The more time people have to do ANYTHING, the better it is (as long as they stick to the original requirements anyway). In the end, it's a crapshoot. Playing with fire. Your mileage may vary, etc, etc.

There have already been reports of some issues. Lady bought one off the lot and the factory literally forgot to put in the radio antenna. Easy fix but still. Several smaller issues with Sync/MyFord Touch but I'm not worried about those, nothing software updates won't eventually fix and you shouldn't have to take it into the dealer, grab a USB stick and do it yourself. General reliability hasn't been seen yet, still too early (panels cracking, buttons breaking, seats ripping, etc).

Unfortunately, usually it takes a year or so for some problems to arise - like the coil spring breaking issue on the 2002 model.

Since the 2011 Explorer is a new design, I have some concerns with reliability, and usually like to wait a year or two till all the bugs are worked out.

Concerns, yes I have some but it didn't stop me from ordering one (took out extended warranty). Problems can arise with any vehicle model at any time. Just look at the brand I'm leaving after 10 years (Toyota). I never had any of the problems that made the headlines or any problems of any kind in fact. And, just because a model has been out for a while doesn't necessarily mean that you won't find the odd lemon in the bunch.

I had a 2002 Explorer (1st year for that model) that had a horrible reputation for bad transmissions, breaking coil springs, bad wheel bearings etc etc etc and I never had a problem with it. Just maintain it well like any other thing and it will last.

A lot of the new Explorer components have already been used in the Edge, so there history on a good bit of the vehicle. The big unknown is the MyFordTouch system and how the transmission/drive system will handle the additional weight over the Edge.

Unfortunately, usually it takes a year or so for some problems to arise - like the coil spring breaking issue on the 2002 model.

And again a crapshoot, because my 2002 like many others never had that issue. There are issues with every year, you just never know.

Not really. Any concern I might have would be with the individual components, not the design. My '97 had the timing cartridge recall and the torsion bar/kevlar clunk, which was never resolved and continues to this day but is only a nuisance.

Have a gold leaft XLT on order.

We're waiting to evaluate the launch/complaints in the spring until we order our 2011 Ex. Being first year, I don't see the harm in being a little cautious...

Its got a bumber to bumper 3-year 36,000-mile warrenty. Flaws usuall dont show for a year or two, and then takes a year or two to correct. They change these things every 4-years anyhow. I bought my 91 X new and had very little initial design issues. I had a 98Ranger, changed from the 97, no design and construction problems. So I personelly dont mind being a gunie pig to drive a redesigned vehicle.

I guess our issue in thinking was not that things will break and be covered, but more along superseded parts, improvements, and changes that wouldn't be on the initial vehicles if Ford is made aware of an issue during production... Sometimes something even as simple as fasteners being changed can make a huge difference. Just being overly cautious I guess... :dunno:

And again a crapshoot, because my 2002 like many others never had that issue. There are issues with every year, you just never know.
Of course there are issues with every year and model (taste/preference/tolerance differs from driver to driver after all) but if we plot the issues over time for the 3rd generation Explorers, it is likely that the 2002 model will have more issues than say a 2004. Therefore, if I am in the market for a 3rd gen Explorer, taking into consideration the probability of issues with the coil springs, I would probably shy away from the 2002 model.

If you had to choose between a 2002 and a 2004 and they were the same mileage, condition, and price, then yes i agree i would go with the 2004. But if a prospective buyer finds a great deal on a 2002 i wouldnt try to convince them not to buy it. Thats all i was saying. ;)

I thought about this long and hard because I don't take buying a new car lightly. But, many things about the Ex aren't new (platform, etc.). It's just new to the Ex. So, without hesitation and with much anticipation, I ordered one today.

Congrats gabella. My XLT should be here soon (build date is next week) after just over 5 months of waiting from the day I ordered.

Ah, you must be excited Edge929! Anticipation is part of the fun, yes? lol. I hope I don't have so long to wait... I keep hoping my 8-10 week quote will be true.

It's about 1-3 weeks after build date to arrival date, yes?

I share the same concerns and with good reason. I bought a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT...one of the first in my area (spring 2008). Since then, here's the common problems on 2008 G8 GTs (first model year) most of which I've experienced:

*faulty designed LCAs (TSB later released to dealers w redesigned LCAs)
*incorrectly installed LCA bushings (TSB to address)
*driveshaft rythmic rumble at hwy speeds (TSB; cosmetic but annoying nonetheless)
*noisy lifters (per TSB redesigned lifters later available)
*faulty gas cap (TSB w redesigned gas cap)
*frozen hood latch due to poor design (TSB available)

in my situation, the other wildcard is that my car is orphaned! The mechanics generally struggle with this vehicle on some of these issues due to there just not being many of them on the road. On the positive side, GM extended the warranty on my orphaned vehicle to 100,000 miles. Noteworthy is the 2009 G8 GT seemed to have most (but not all) of these issues resolved. Point proven, albeit with another manufacturer.

I guess my point is this...there will be a few extra things that pop up on a first year run vehicle. It may cause you to visit the dealer more often than a y2+ model run. Mitigating this for the Explorer is that you have a drivetrain and engine that is widely used in other vehicles. I don't really expect problems with the major mechanical components. That being said, I'm more concerned with some of the electronic gadgets on the new Ex. Suspenion too. Another mitigating factor is I would put money on it that Ford tested the crud out of this vehicle given the reputation hit the previous explorer suffered via the tire fiasco.

All that being said...still considering the Ex. It appears to be boiling down to the Acura MDX base vs. an Explorer Limited with few options. My wife and I still feel the Ex looks great and it's extremely quiet inside. A major plus if you are a road warrior!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on where you live it can be anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks for the farthest-away-from-Chicago areas. My delivery date is a mere 4 days after my build date being in Des Moines (4-5 hour drive from Chicago depending on suburb). I think 8-10 weeks from now is accurate as most pre-orders will be handle between now and the end of March. The Explorer facebook page has a few people who ordered in January with build dates already.

Back