• Register Today It's free!

Cone air filter adapters

Jgb6502

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited AWD 5.0
So i been researching putting a cold air intake on my explorer and The cone air filter adapters. For about a third of the price i could put a cone air filter on my stock tube. Now i know thats cutting corners but my logic and reason for posting is with my stock tube it is the same mm as my throttle body so all that money on a CAI seems like a waste because the stock tube is sucking the same amount of air. the only reason i want the cone adapter is because then i can clean and reuse it and they simply last longer and seem to be made better then your standard paper filters. My reason for posting is because i want to see if someone with more knowledge agrees or disagrees with what im saying
Thanks in advance.

I have a 97 5.0 awd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the ebay cold air filter kit that I got for like 30 bucks. I think its definitely better than stock. Throttle response is somewhat improved. So I'd say go for it.

from my understanding, the stock tube has ridges on the inside which causes a slight resistance as they are pretty much little air pockets. Compared to a CAI tube that is completely smooth with no ridges allows for air to flow easier...now how much of a difference it makes...i couldnt even tell ya as it seems so minute. So buying the cone filter seems like the right idea IMO. :)

Hope this helps as i have had many differnt CAI's and filter adapters for stock setups. :)

Who's makes a full cai intake for a 99 5.0l exp???

If you get the cone filter, or just an upgraded stock type filter (K&n, etc), you can alter your air box to allow more air in. I'll try and get some pics today so you can see how I did it. But basically you're taking the snorkel out of the front of the air box, enlarging the hole so that the entire front side is opened, then making a shroud so that it fits snug against the hole right behind the light bulb. You will see when you remove the air box that there is a large hole for cool air to into the airbox. It doesn't cost a dime and allows plenty of cool airflow.

If you get the cone filter, or just an upgraded stock type filter (K&n, etc), you can alter your air box to allow more air in. I'll try and get some pics today so you can see how I did it. But basically you're taking the snorkel out of the front of the air box, enlarging the hole so that the entire front side is opened, then making a shroud so that it fits snug against the hole right behind the light bulb. You will see when you remove the air box that there is a large hole for cool air to into the airbox. It doesn't cost a dime and allows plenty of cool airflow.

I'm interested in these pictures! :thumbsup:

I'll try to get some tomorrow, been really busy this weekend with the family and trying to figure out my transmission issues, go figure, lol.

I'll try to get some tomorrow, been really busy this weekend with the family and trying to figure out my transmission issues, go figure, lol.

Where are those pics

Most cold air kits are worthless. They draw in under hood air which is hotter. Get a quality drop in filter and you'll be better off. Most open air intakes are louder, and just sound faster.

Back