Cone Filter + Homemade Heat Shield w/ Diagram! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cone Filter + Homemade Heat Shield w/ Diagram!

aklmfreak

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4.0 SOHC
hey guys, just got done installing a cone filter on my 2000 Sport SOHC with a homemade heat shield. definite improvement in acceleration. i'll post pictures and list all the supplies i used and a walkthrough on how to make the heatshield in case anyone wants to make their own. i'll also include a diagram with all the dimensions of the heat shield. but for now! I'M GOING TO BED!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As in a heat shield to protect the air filter from all the engine heat? Mountaineer green mocked up something like this a while ago

good job though post pics!!!

haha truth

Pics/Supplies/Walkthru sounds good. Maybe I can alter it somewhat to work with K&N FIPK & OHV. Tanx

let see some pics of it installed

pictures uploading at the moment, working on the diagram in photoshop. have it up asap

Heat-Shield.jpg

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/aklmfreak/Heat%20Shield/

Says you need to log into your account to view the picture.

Dan

no passwordy....no picturey.

SUPPLIES:

1 sheet of air duct sheet metal (found it near ductwork in Lowes)
1 roll of adhesive foil and foam duct insulation (the stuff i got had an R rating of 3.0)
1-4 3/4" self-tapping metal screws
1 section of adhesive foam 3/4" pipe insulation
1ft section of 3/4"wide x 1/8"thick aluminum stock

TOOLS

Tin Snips or some other means of cutting thin sheet metal
Utility Knife
Tape Measure
Power Drill (for self tapping screws)

CONSTRUCTION
1. cut sheet metal to match the diagram above (do not cut along vertical center line!)

2. bend the sheet metal cutout 90° along vertical center line marked in diagram

3. apply adhesive foil-and-foam duct insulation to both sides of the metal cutout (i cleaned each side of the metal with windex just before applying the adhesive insulation to keep any oil, grease, dirt, etc from interfering with the adhesive backing on the foam/foil insulation.

4. apply the adhesive pipe insulation around the edges of the heat shield to help it get a good seal against the inside of the hood and in the corner where the air filter goes.

5. apply the adhesive pipe insulation around the inside of the 4.5" hole where the intake tube/MAF sensor comes through the heat shield

6. install the heat shield and secure the front with a self tapping screw as seen in this picture http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/aklmfreak/Heat%20Shield/IMG_1465-1.jpg

7. use the Aluminum stock and drill a couple of holes to make a support for the rear of the Heat Shield and bolt under factory bolts as shown in this picture http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/aklmfreak/Heat%20Shield/IMG_1463.jpg

8. Install Filter and Intake pipe accordingly, make whatever variations may be necessary to make your intake system work with the heat shield. here are a few pics of how my system turned out.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/aklmfreak/Heat%20Shield/IMG_1466.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/aklmfreak/Heat%20Shield/IMG_1467.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/aklmfreak/Heat%20Shield/IMG_1468.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/aklmfreak/Heat%20Shield/IMG_1469.jpg

i know these directions probably arent the best but lemme know if anyone has questions, i'll be glad to answer them. just be sure you are careful around the vacuum lines below the airbox area. and yes, i had to nearly fold my heat shield in half in order to install it, so dont be afraid to mash it whatever way you need to to get it to fit. once it slides into place you'll see how everything fits together around the other engine bay components and characteristics.

as far as supporting the heat shield i just kinda redneck rigged it up, feel free to make any variations you want, if you come up with a better way to mount it, lemme know! i got lazy and just wanted to get the project done.

also, the filter i have in these pictures is an APC which i found out to be a PIECE OF CRAP (which i wasnt surprised cuz i just bought it cuz it was cheap), so i returned it and payed 9 more dollars for a comparable universal K&N Filter. overall, i think it turned out pretty nice, i can definitely feel a difference in acceleration and i can use less throttle while cruising. no i dont have a scanner so i have not been able to check actual intake air temperature, sorry. i'd really appreciate some feedback! this is my first DIY thread!

try now i changed my album to Public

GREAT JOB!.

You did all the hard work for me....YAY.

I will try to do mine this week. Last time I put in my cone filter, the scanguage showed intake temp of over 154degrees.

This will do great.

Great Job!

GREAT JOB!.

You did all the hard work for me....YAY.

I will try to do mine this week. Last time I put in my cone filter, the scanguage showed intake temp of over 154degrees.

This will do great.

Great Job!

thanks! i'm gonna try and do a walkthrough on changing front shocks too when i do mine in the next few weeks.
since you have a scanner, lemme know how the intake air temp changes after the heat shield install! i'd be curious to see how well it works.

thanks! i'm gonna try and do a walkthrough on changing front shocks too when i do mine in the next few weeks.
since you have a scanner, lemme know how the intake air temp changes after the heat shield install! i'd be curious to see how well it works.

sounds good. I am hoping to get ambient temps or close to ambient when idling.

sounds good. I am hoping to get ambient temps or close to ambient when idling.

Please post before and after temps when you make it. Im curious to see what happens

AKLM- I am going to attempt this on my custom intake. Ill post up what I figure out. Awsome post!

Side note- Ive ran a stainless steel filter, cheap ebay filter, AEM filter, and now the AMSOil Filter. The AMSOil feels just as good as the stainless steel filter! I took the stainless steel out because that thing does a horrible job at filtering stuff. The ebay filter and AEM felt like it was choking my truck. Just an FYI!

Please post before and after temps when you make it. Im curious to see what happens

AKLM- I am going to attempt this on my custom intake. Ill post up what I figure out. Awsome post!

I will post the temperatures.

I went to Home Depot today, but they had NOTHING I needed. I really want to get this built by the end of this week. My cone filter is installed without a shield, so I will record temps.

Side note- Ive ran a stainless steel filter, cheap ebay filter, AEM filter, and now the AMSOil Filter. The AMSOil feels just as good as the stainless steel filter! I took the stainless steel out because that thing does a horrible job at filtering stuff. The ebay filter and AEM felt like it was choking my truck. Just an FYI!

i like the K&N filter i have now, it seems to flow pretty good, and the intake likes talking to me now :D
where did you get your AMSOil filter? and how much did you spend on it?
i will say that i got my MAF adapter off of ebay, and it turned out to be a very good quality piece and matched the diameter of the MAF sensor PERFECTLY. ebay is good for a lot of things, but not everything....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i like the K&N filter i have now, it seems to flow pretty good, and the intake likes talking to me now :D
where did you get your AMSOil filter?

K&N filters are grossly over-rated. Dead Link Removed are not.

(Dead Link Removed and figure out which one you need).

Back