confirm rear end I'm about to order e locker. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

confirm rear end I'm about to order e locker.

conig

Reaction score
City, State
tallahassee fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 v8 xlt.
8.8 31 spline correct? just want to be sure before I get a real expensive paperweight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you are ordering it for your '96 then u are correct. don;t know about the 3rd gens tho.

91-2001 Explorer 31 spline 8.8

E locker = YIKES!!
you sure you want one of those? LOL

its for my 04.

I have to do an E so i can turn it off for when my wife drive it. its a 2wd its just for alittle more running fire roads dunes no crawling.

e lockers have issues, thats all I meant by that

I still believe in ARB air lockers

The Gen III truck still uses a 8.8 31 spline center section, I am 95% sure

How much will an e locker set you back for one of these?

e lockers have issues, thats all I meant by that

I still believe in ARB air lockers

The Gen III truck still uses a 8.8 31 spline center section, I am 95% sure

gotcha im not going to be wheeling it so i hope it will work out. I'm looking at eaton and I had a couple of there aggresive limited slips. ive also used auborn and the lockright the lock right failed on me. hopefully i won;t need it much.

it was 700 thelt +s&h

gotcha im not going to be wheeling it so i hope it will work out. I'm looking at eaton and I had a couple of there aggresive limited slips. ive also used auborn and the lockright the lock right failed on me. hopefully i won;t need it much.

it was 700 thelt +s&h

Do you have the tow package?

i do some mud too. as well as toting a large box trailer loaded to the gills with sand/offroad toys gear camping supplys etc. i guess what I meant was nothing were i need alot of flex but very loose conditions.

any specific issues known on this particular locker.

I thought of a limited slip but heres the deal guys im scared to death of my wife driving with one a lunch box locker etc especially with my daughter and dog in the car. she barely changed the oil before we married she just dropped hers off at the dealer and let them work her not knowing better.

as long as her car road to the mall she was happy regarless of sounds squeeks etc. my point being she won't pay attention enough she couldn;t drive my dakota with a locker if it was remotly wet it kept coming around on her.

whatever i get it must go back to peg leg when asked for her. If i was the only driver i would just go aussie and be done with it. if theres other suggestions of selectable lockers id love to hear them.

not trying to argue but her driving skill is the only thing having me look for selectables figured the application is important.

thelt i have the baby hitch. :(

I guess it depends on which dunes you plan to hit but I would not be comfortable heading out to the point at Cape Hatteras with anything less than a four wheel drive. Limited Slip or rear locker would be sufficient in that area, IMHO.

feel you. ive only had to get pulled out once in the sand but its fairly deep. i used to go everywere in my locked dakota my 85 bronco would go. im no dye hard offroader thats what the trailer full of toys is for.

Im not positive for the Explorer, but on Ford's other IRS cars like the MN12 cars and the Cobra, you have to buy a diff that is compatible with the axle snap rings.

A standard 8.8" diff doesn't have any provisions to hold the axle shaft inside the differential.

Are the Explorer and Expedition diffs the same style or not?

can anyone confirm that. someone had access to the shop schematics before when we were trying to determine the front axle.

Not sure if you ordered it already, but here are some pictures of the rear and half shaft removal instructions. It doesn't look like their is a snap ring. And the part numbers for the carrier are the same as the F-150 8.8. The only different part number is the side spider gear thrust washer and the pin that holds the cross shaft, but that doesn't matter. I would imagine the side spiders would be different if their was a snap ring. At the bottom their is a picture of the mustang IRS 8.8, it has a completely different carrier than the F-150 and Explorer 8.8 and the axles on the mustang do have snap rings. Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Rear8.jpg

HalfshaftRemoval.jpg

Explorer.jpg

F150.jpg

Mustang.jpg

Did you get the locker?

actually no man i didn't i probable will around june so the info is still very helpful.

got a 5 burner grille instead with liked that gift better.

Back