Confuse about milage (MPG) 06explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confuse about milage (MPG) 06explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer V6 XLT
Hi exlorerers,

I am new to this forum and this is my first Explorer . I just bought it and previous owner have no record for service and maintenance. I am getting milage that has made me confuse. I live in chicago with crazy cold weather and with my driving in city I am getting 8.4 on cluster gauge screen . So I have changed the fuel filter that took milage above to 8.7 mpg and then after more research on this forum I came to know about O2 sensors ( Both Upstream ) If I replace with OEM I can have more chances to get milage better and I replace both Dy835 and XLT milage went up to 11.7 mpg.

Now I will change plugs and plug Wires but is this milage ok in chicago winter with winter gas or you guys recommend some thing better ?

Thanks
Muhammad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on acquiring your new Explorer. You did a very good job improving your gas mileage with the OEM parts you replaced so far, and replacing the spark plugs and wires will help too. The part numbers for the spark plugs are motorcraft SP412 and for the wires WR6096. I replaced plugs and wires not too long ago on my Explorer and had a noticeable improvement in gas mileage as well.

Another thing you can try is to use a fuel system cleaner like seafoam or BG44K, and this will help clean out the injectors and fuel system.

Thanks for the reply . I will use sea foam today and will see if I get any better result in mpg .

How is your city driving? Stop and go constantly? If you are taking off anything harder than "normal" then the mileage you're seeing doesn't sound too off. Plugs and wires will definitely help though as well as prolong the life of your ride.

hopefully seafoam with next fuel fill up will help as well

another thing is remove the throttle body and see how much carbon in on the back of the butterfly...mine was crazy dirty and cleaned it all up and dont just pour seafoam into the gas tank spray some directly into the incoming air

I don't know that much . If you can eleborate Please .

Back