Confused about shackle to frame mount! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confused about shackle to frame mount!

ld50

Oh, the money you`ll blow
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
Okay, here`s what has happened to my truck.
93 4-door

My rear passenger side WAR 153 shackle has started sitting crooked, so I looked closely at where is connects to the frame and it looks like the bolt is sitting crooked through the hole on the frame. By crooked I mean if I look at one side where the bolt goes through, it looks like it is dead center of the hole, but on the other side it is closer to the top of the hole, which would cause the angle for sure.

Some people claim that there is a bushing through there, but I cannot get one through Ford. They say it only goes through metal at the frame. What is happening here guys? Any ideas? All I can think of is perhaps the bolt has bent with all the thrashing that has been going on lately, god I hope so... That would be easy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put my shakels in yesterday and I'm almost 100% sure there was a bushing in there. If you think the bolt's messed up, go down to the local autoparts store, buy a new one, and then when you get back (while the truck's supported on jack stand and a jack under the pumpkin) pull the bolt out to see if it's messed up. If it's not, it's the bushing. You can get new poly bushings back there from EE for 40 bucks.

Absolutely no question. There is supposed to be a bushing there. If you don't have one in there, the thing would clunk and bang like crazy. You sure that the bolts you used with your shackles are the proper diameter?? I have heard that some of the shackles came with different sized bolts. When you put the bolts in, there should have been no play whatsoever.

Thanks guys, there definitely IS a bushing there, I checked. Thing is Ford doesn`t seem to have a part # so the parts guy is trying to find our if it is the same as the leaf bushings. i just need to get one fast because it definitely is squashed, and yes the bolt is the right size because it barely gets through the metal sleeve within the bushing.

Id 50

You can get the bushings from Hank. It is part of the rear leaf spring kit from daystar. That's what I did.

You can get the bushings from Hank

I want to get all new front ones, but I`m leary about the back. Besides, I`m in a hurry.

I`m already talking about this in my project thread, but I want things rigid back there since I have those long shackles and flexxy springs. I don`t think poly is going to be good back there.

Poly is more rigid than rubber, and stronger, the daystars eliminate the steel sleeve as well. I have them all the way around, and it rides well.

:mad:
What a snafu this is. Two Ford dealerships are telling me Ford doesn`t offer a replacement bushing like I`m talking about. They even say they`ve never seen a Ex with that problem!

I Even tried the local auto parts store and he couldn`t find them listed in poly. I guess I gotta see about getting them through this site, but I don`t want to wait for shipping-AAAAAARGGGHHHHH!

I've got two poly bushing for the frame, if you want them e-mail me at ROWELL1366@aol.com
David

what do poly brushes do? confused about that.

They are not as soft, a little more rigid. They give more resistence under load giving you a tighter ride. I don't know if that made any sense, basically a stiffer bushing.

oh ok i got it.

Thanks for the offer!

I have one more avenue though that I should have tried first off I guess. That is see if a 4x4 shop locally handles Daystar. The parts store
I went to had some other brand that only said "leaf spring bushings" By looking at the Daystar site, I do see that there is THAT bushing in the package. It must be anyway because there appear to be three in a package.

If I can`t find them quick and have to wait for mail then I`ll shoot you an email EXPLODER-1!

I want to do some wheeling this weekend if I can so I`m getting desparate.:(

Shackle Bushing

Hey, ld50! I know this is an old thread, but here goes anyway...

Where did you find those bushings? I can't find them anywhere! My driver's side one is now in pieces and the X is undriveable. :(

Thanks in advance for your help!

majorlag said:
Hey, ld50! I know this is an old thread, but here goes anyway...

Where did you find those bushings? I can't find them anywhere! My driver's side one is now in pieces and the X is undriveable. :(

Thanks in advance for your help!
Energy Suspension Leaf spring bushing set Part # 4.2124 {may contain optional letter indicating bushing color}

Much obliged!

Thanks, guys! That was exactly what I needed. Finally, after nearly 2 weeks of having my DD in my garage up on jackstands, I'm back on the road!

Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to be of some help and happy to hear your back on the road :thumbsup:

Back