Considering a 8.8 or a 9"

MoabB2

Reaction score
City, State
South Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Bronco II (97 Mercury)
What one should I go with?

8.8 Advantages: Already has disc brakes, ???

9" Advantages: Drop out 3rd member, can go 35 spline, stronger.

Please convince me one way or the other...!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 8.8 is a really good axle. I chose to go with a 9" though, it's very upgradeable, discs can be put on very cheaply, and I bought my 3rd with 5.13's and a full spool for only 200 bucks. Gears and install alone would have cost more in my 8.8. Stock for stock though the 8.8 is pretty comparable to a 9". I think the 9" can be upgraded more though. Just what i've gathered, all in all i'll have around 375 to 400 dollars in my 9" when all is said and done :)

8.8 can go 40 spline but finding a carrier might be difficult. Also the aftermarket on the 8.8 might be slightly better considering most of the new currie "9-inch" use the 8.8 gearset granded may be a little more expensive but the only two reasons to pick the 9" is that it doesnt have c-clips and the 3rd member

Seeing as how the 8.8 is a direct bolt in, and the 9 will need lots of fab work, re-drilled axles (to fit your wheels) etc., it would seem that the 8.8 is the logical choice from an installation point of view.

Stength wise, they are about the same and I've not seen a bunch of 8.8s blown up.

The drop out carrier is nice if you swap gears often, but if you do it once, then run them, so what.

I'd pick the 8.8 if it were me. But with that being said, I'm running a 60 in the rear of my Ranger... :D Of course, I'm also on 38s.

well not a direct bolt in, if we are talking disc braked 8.8 it will have to be converted to spring over and to use the BII shock setup (ranger style) before you can bolt it in but thats worth it :)

8.8 in a bii = overbuilt
I towed a 19' boat with mine on 33's to CA and back just for starters
97 Explorer 31 spline LSD 4.10 Ford racing R&P, arc welded warrior spring pads, Skyjacker 4" leafs and Superlift 2" tappered iron blocks
Explorer driveshaft rebuilt and fit

Now she sits behind the 5.0L on 35's with a ARB locker
No problem

I'm planning to switch to the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern either way.

Sounds like both of them are strong. So, does it come down to which one is easier to install in my application? Or which one is cheaper to rebuild?

both

So which is easier to install?

Which is cheaper to rebuild?

8.8 easier to install, 9" cheaper to build likely
It really depends, an old 9" will likely need everything, new bearings, seals, brakes, gears, blah blah blah then you have to weld on spring pads and shock mounts, convert the d shaft to fit the yoke

the 8.8 you can find with disc brakes and semi low miles, you can get away wioth just stuffing your gears in it and of course custom axle shafts since you want 5 on 5.5

so start pricing things out :)

I paid $700 for a 97 rear end, converted it to spring over and bolted it into my truck using new pads on the calipers
I paid way too much but didnt know any better back then.
I have since re-geared it twice, put in a ARB, and rebuilt the e brake and disc brakes twice, but thats in like 8 years with a learning curve, Now I wouldnt pay over $300 for a disc brake 8.8 with 100K miles, worn out factory LS and 3.73 gears

I think the disc brake conversion on the 9" is the kicker.

For less than the price of converting the 9" to disc and upgrading to 31 spline axles, I could rebuild the brakes on the 8.8 AND add a Superior Super 88.

I'm leaning towards 8.8.

who said anyhting about upgrading the 9" to 31 spline? its free... they come with 31 spline. And a disk brake conversion can be done for 150 bucks. The 9" has probably the alrgest aftermarket of any rear s the possibilities are endless. 40 splie full floater with a nodular case (hi-pinion nodular case?) back brace, ect.... Plus gears and lockers already installed in 3rd members are cheap, dirt cheap. 8.8 stuff is much more expensive, and you still have a weaker ring and pinion.

So thats 150 right there, which I think is well under the cost of a $530 superior 88 kit.

I beleive eb 9"s did not have 31 spline shafts, think they are 28 spline.

I'm almost positive 9" rears were all 31 spline. Almost all of the 8.8's in truck had 31 spline. Why wouldn't he 9"?

There have been many variations of the 9", early broncos had 28 splines, 8th line, first paragraph
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm
This is one of the many reasons i decided to use a full width 9" from a 78 bronco, these were "big bearing" 31 spline units :)

I've found conflicting info about the 8.8's (explorer's all had 31 spline)...f150's seems to have 28 or 31...can't figure out which yet though lol. Guess i could take mine apart....not that curious though haha

Most EBs came with 28 spline.

Explorers came with 31 spline.

Buy my 8.8! Has 4.56's and everything... :)

In the case of a bronco, unless you're planning on putting a full width solid or d44 ttb i'd say the 8.8 is your best bet. If I was choosing between an 8.8 or a 9"...i'd still say a full width 9" :D

What about your front axle? Did any bii's come with d35's or are they all d28's? I'd upgrade that as well...not going to be that pricey, i've heard of many d35's just going in the trash.

74 & older Ford truck 9"s are 28 spline, 75s can have either 28 or 31 splines, 76 up are 31 spline. Early Bronco 9"s are 28 spline, Full size Broncos are 31 spilne. Ford cars are 28 spline, even the T-Bird. Of course this is assuming the axles are stock.

In the case of a bronco, unless you're planning on putting a full width solid or d44 ttb i'd say the 8.8 is your best bet. If I was choosing between an 8.8 or a 9"...i'd still say a full width 9" :D

What about your front axle? Did any bii's come with d35's or are they all d28's? I'd upgrade that as well...not going to be that pricey, i've heard of many d35's just going in the trash.

1990 B2s came with D35's. I want to go solid axle though.
I already have a D44 from a '77 Bronco that I plan to swap in at the same time. I think with either a 8.8 or 9", it will be stronger than the D44. That should be plenty strong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think that the 8.8 should be strong enough. If you decide to go full width then the 9" is my choice. but that's just my opinion :)

Back