Considering removing third row for storage compartment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Considering removing third row for storage compartment

Explorer0204

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
Hello I am considering buying a stock storage compartment instead of the third row seats that I don't need. Has anyone done this before? Can't imagine it is very hard...

Can anyone take a picture of how much space there is? I would love to see what the compartment looks like to see if it is worth the effort for the amount of space I would get.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I JUST spotted a thread on this, but it doesn't use a stock compartment so I would love to see a picture of one.

Well, you could fit an amplifier in it, a tow ball, not much really.
All you will gain is a truly flat "trunk" area. With 3rd row, the seats don't really lay flat. You'll be giving up more than you are gaining.

Now, if you have black leather interior, you should make the change and give me your third row.
I own 1 Ex with and 1 Ex without the 3rd row. I will be adding a third row to the one that doesn't have it. But also, taking out the second 'bench' and installing the singles with a console in between.

Well, you could fit an amplifier in it, a tow ball, not much really.
All you will gain is a truly flat "trunk" area. With 3rd row, the seats don't really lay flat. You'll be giving up more than you are gaining.

Now, if you have black leather interior, you should make the change and give me your third row.
I own 1 Ex with and 1 Ex without the 3rd row. I will be adding a third row to the one that doesn't have it. But also, taking out the second 'bench' and installing the singles with a console in between.

hehehe thanks for the info. I have tan cloth so about the opposite of what you have!

thing is, I am 18 and don't have kids so what the heck do I need a third row for? I am never transporting that many people but what I do way more of is offroading, hauling and towing so if it were alot of space I would do the conversion. I carry around a lot of tools and stuff now that I would love to have all tucked under the cargo space of the vehicle.

thanks for your honest opinion though. I will definitely not do the conversion if it is so minimal that I would be wasting my time.

It just hit me that I have a friend that has an Explorer with no third row so I can see the size of it in person now that I think about it.

I removed my 3rd row seat. I built a flat platform with flip-up trapdoors. I am on the road until next week, I have a set of photos at home in my pc that I can post if your not in a hurry.

I removed my 3rd row seat. I built a flat platform with flip-up trapdoors. I am on the road until next week, I have a set of photos at home in my pc that I can post if your not in a hurry.

No hurry. Would love to see them. I saw a thread of one homemade unit but would love to see more as I could go that route.

any junkyards near you? i'd check that out..not sure how far upstate you are but on the way to my house in Columbia county i see quite a few LARGE yards...all very organied probably by make and model. If you don't like that, have you considered in completely removing the storage compartment at the rear, the whole third row and going down to the metal? throwing some bedliner on that and making some compartments would be sick

you could also turn around and sell your third row for a pretty penny

I used a good grade of 1" x 4" Pine. I glued & used screws to make frame. I used the locations of seat bolts to bolt frame in. On the front of frame at 2nd row seat, I used turnbuckles with hooks attached to child safety loops to hold frame in place. I can pull the whole thing out & put 3rd row seat back in, in about 45 minutes.

Attachments

• CA2-1.jpg
    CA2-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,200
  • CA14-1.jpg
    CA14-1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 676
  • CA9-1.jpg
    CA9-1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 715
  • CA8-1.jpg
    CA8-1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 663
  • CA7-1.jpg
    CA7-1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,227
  • CA3-1.jpg
    CA3-1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 788

I used a good grade of 1" x 4" Pine. I glued & used screws to make frame. I used the locations of seat bolts to bolt frame in. On the front of frame at 2nd row seat, I used turnbuckles with hooks attached to child safety loops to hold frame in place. I can pull the whole thing out & put 3rd row seat back in, in about 45 minutes.

That's some nice woodwork.

Here are some photos of my Ex with no third row (for the moment.)
The paper towels in the one pic are for size.

Bucket_zpsddb50789.jpg

BktFlView_zps07080d9f.jpg

BktInCarUpClose_zpsd0d6810e.jpg

Now, for me? $65 for this beauty out of an 05 Mounty.

7d6121ad-f8c9-42df-9720-3e12609c05c7_zps38756f29.jpg

Meh.....maybe it was an Ex. Don't recall anymore.

Now, for me? $65 for this beauty out of an 05 Mounty.

7d6121ad-f8c9-42df-9720-3e12609c05c7_zps38756f29.jpg

Meh.....maybe it was an Ex. Don't recall anymore.

Thanks for the pictures!!!

I love the idea of making a wooden one just not sure if mine would come out as gorgeous!! That thang is nice!!!!

I'd go to a wrecker and look for a donor without the third row. The pieces you need aren't much to make it happen.

I'd go to a wrecker and look for a donor without the third row. The pieces you need aren't much to make it happen.

I hear ya. The junkyards around here don't keep the interiors though so it may be hard to find one.. My color to boot. I shall try

Well, you need the bucket, the cross member and the two lids. I can probably get those parts for around $50 or so. I don't know how much freight would be though. I do have to say that most Ex's I see in the yards have the 3rd row. Let me know, I'm heading to the yard tomorrow here in Atlanta.

Well, you need the bucket, the cross member and the two lids. I can probably get those parts for around $50 or so. I don't know how much freight would be though. I do have to say that most Ex's I see in the yards have the 3rd row. Let me know, I'm heading to the yard tomorrow here in Atlanta.

Thanks for the offer but I have the really light tan interior and I am SUPER picky about my interior so I need to look in person before buying.

Plus, freight would be about 150 for all that based on other large stuff I have shipped in the past. I want to at least try at my yards here before I go look on ebay and all.

Again though thanks for the offer!!

That is brilliant!

Back