• Register Today It's free!

Console Help

Fordracing17

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLS
i have a 2006 xls, and i have the 4wd, so under the radio i have to 4wd auto, low and high buttons, on the opposite side is what seems to be blank "switches", im looking to mount lights onto my brush guard and was wondering if i could mount a switch in that empty spot. i uncliped the blank pannel (which consisists of 3 blank buttons) and found a wirirng harness and nearby it says abs on one of the buttons. Does anyone know the purpose of this? and is it possible i put thee toggle switch for the lights in the other 2 blanks? thanks

I think, at least on mine, those blank buttons on the left side of your 4x4 buttons are for the "message center" in the instrument cluster. So I would say you could use those blank spots. My guess is that those wires are pre-run already in case your car was ordered with that option. I'm sure ford doesn't use different wiring harnesses for different options, but I could be wrong

Yep, it´s for the optional "Message Center". The harness is just clipped in to not hang free behind the dash.
I just unclipped it from the cover and taped it to one of the other harnesses.
Perfect spot for aux. switches etc.

Back