Console lid re-do

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01,'02, '04 Sport Tracs,
Like most, my Sport Trac's console lid had a hole worn through the vinyl. I bought a dark gray replacement kit off eBay from octane-usa. That's what their chart said was a match, but it isn't nearly as dark as the original dark graphite. Aside from that, the vinyl seems to be good quality, and it's cut plenty big. The instructions call for 1/4" staples, but all I had were 5/16" heavy duty staples that are much stouter than the staples Ford used. Next time I would use 1/4". The staples had to go into very hard plastic and the thinner staples might go in better. I used up a LOT of staples because they wouldn't go into the plastic. All the staples do is hold everything together until you can get the plastic panel screwed back onto the underside. The final result looks decent, but under that bottom cover, it's a mess! There are 3 screws for the hinge and 9 for the underside of the lid. I considered using my cordless drill to deal with that many screws. DON'T. The screws are all really short and come out/go back in with about 3 turns.

The lighter colored lid is an original medium gray lid from a '98 Explorer just for comparison.

101_1996 (640x360).jpg

101_1997 (640x360).jpg

101_1998 (640x360).jpg

101_1999 (640x360).jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been having problems with getting the staples to hold. I am thinking if I warm the plastic in hot water or even a LOW oven (don't melt it) the staples might penatrate.

I had problems with the staples, too, but I was using heavier duty staples than recommended. Warming the plastic might help, but I doubt that type of plastic is going to soften much. The staples only have to hold the vinyl in place until you get the bottom cover plate screwed on. They don't have to hold well, or look good. The bottom plate is what really holds the vinyl in place.

You should try Contact Cement. I've used this on a center arm rest in another car. where I replaced some cloth with leather and it held very well. Since there is a plastic backing plate on yours to help hold the vinyl down Contact Cement would work even better..

I know this post is a few months old but I ended up borrowing a pneumatic stapler and I used leather from an old leather jacket which was almost too thick but it is better than new now

Back