• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Constant BSOD

anti*commander

Reaction score
City, State
algonquin, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
This week has sucked so far, school started, rust is starting to bubble my paint and cause it to peel, ball joints have gone bad, and my computer suddenly decided to start giving me random BSOD crashes, even while i was writing my 15 page business law paper which is 25% of my credit.

EVERYTHING IS FALLING APART ON ME!!!

But on the bright side i got a new laptop HP dv2550se.

Now, that i am done with my ranting, the real problem.

My desktop has decided to give me BSOD randomly. This started after my buddy gave me a copy of unreal tournament 3 and i installed it, ever time i ran it i would get bsod. So i thought nothing of it and left it installed. Then it was fine for a few days, and now today it happend twice, and that pissed me off, so i decided to run a windows recovery, i did so, and it seemed as if it worke, until it crashed again, and now ever time it boots, it cant go more than 10 minutes without crashing and going to bsod. I had removed all my drives, and only left the drive that had windows on it.

So, my question is, what can i do to recover my computer and get rid of these BSOD's, i dont mind re-installing windows, it is always nice to have a fresh install, but i dont want to have to go back and install over $6,000 in applications, and re-apply settings.

Thanks, and sorry for the venting at the beginning of the article.

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
If you do a re-install of windows you will have to re-install all your applications as well. Try running chkdsk /r on the c drive from the recovery console. (boot from xp cd and choose 'r'). Also check for viruses/spyware.

calisoundmix

Reaction score
City, State
san jose, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT SOHC
what is the error you receive on the blue screen?

alot of times that can help you solve the problem, whether it be a bad mobo or a clogged fan.

anti*commander

Reaction score
City, State
algonquin, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
i think i may have figured out what the problem was... Bad stick of ram

so now i have to completely re-install windows to fix it. but it comes down to buying ram for the computer or replacing ball joints.

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Well if you have a new laptop to work on for now I would go with the ball joints...

anti*commander

Reaction score
City, State
algonquin, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
Yeah, thats what im going to do, my buddy lent me some ram from his previous motherboard to use untill i get my car fixed and pay income tax.

Does anyone have an estimate on the price of getting a door de-rusted and re-painted?