Continued Performance Developments from Livernois Motorsports for the Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Continued Performance Developments from Livernois Motorsports for the Explorer Sport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hey Guys, I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Andy and I am one of the employees at Livernois Motorsports & Engineering that monitor our various message boards we sponsor. I am on member of a team of 6 people dedicated to helping out current, past, and potential customers of Livernois Motorsports. Below are some updates on recent developments on our continued progress on our Explorer Sport.

Livernois Motorsports has been working on broadening and perfecting our tune and upgrade portfolio for the Explorer Sport. Using our own Development car, and In-House AWD Chassis Dyno we have been able to come up with a tune that should satisfy the thirst of those looking for all out track performance for their Sport. This tune is still in the development stages as it is fairly aggressive, but once we are fully satisfied with it it will be a parts package to compliment a race style tune that we offer like our 4+ tune in the 10-12 Ecoboost Cars, we will be releasing one. The first run right off of the street ran 13.40@102 and with some on track tweaking and optimizations we were able to get it to the 13.27@103 mark. As you can see in the video, there is plenty of wheel spin due to how aggressive this calibration is, which if under control would have been able to get even better results. We will be working on offering more performance products to allow for a more usable manner of added HP as in it's current state this is too aggressive for production release. With a perfected tune, and the future product offerings coming from Livernois Motorsports we are confident we will find the balance of on track performance with on street reliability. Unfortunately we ran out of time at the track, but look for future updates coming soon and even better numbers ;)

As another point, our current production release calibration will provide consistent 13.50-13.60 when conditions allow, we just are always working on perfecting and upgrading our offerings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok Andy, let's hope I have your account set up right this time!

Once again, welcome to our forum and that is a VERY impressive Explorer:burnout:

what tires were used? the factory hankooks or continentals??

You guys should drive one with the optional continentals.... Huge improvment all around!!

Contisport 265 45/20

You guys should drive one with the optional continentals.... Huge improvment all around!!

Contisport 265 45/20

I agree, night and day difference. We have had about 15 of these through the shop so I have had a good amount of exposure to the various options on these. I made the suggestion of nitto nt555r's all the way around ;) they are a little shorter, but would probably help out that horrible wheel hop.

2 things:
1. Put 100 octane in the tank and re-tune and tell us the HP and 1/4 mile times
2. Figure out how to put that AWD controller in the Flex/SHO :)
I'd be happy to do a full ECU/TCU swap in my 2011 to get that.
OR at least figure out what voltage is changing at the PTU/rear diff to affect the proportioning so we can do it aftermarket.

2 things:
1. Put 100 octane in the tank and re-tune and tell us the HP and 1/4 mile times
2. Figure out how to put that AWD controller in the Flex/SHO :)
I'd be happy to do a full ECU/TCU swap in my 2011 to get that.
OR at least figure out what voltage is changing at the PTU/rear diff to affect the proportioning so we can do it aftermarket.

Eventually, we will go and do other race tunes, but right now, we want to focus on the more main stream solutions. Most of our customers are not races, they just enjoy quick, reliable vehicles. As for the AWD controller, this is a complete change in the wiring of the vehicle, This is controlled by PWM, not voltage. It also is a completely different module, not the TCM or ECM. It appears to be in the TCSM, which is not something that we have access to currently, nor is it something that seems likely to gain access to as it is such a niche within a niche.

The RDU is pcm controlled in conjuntion with the abs module...at times the pcm Can tell the abs module to take over in certain conditions but 90% of the time it is pcm duty cycled via varying changes in current....

The pcm is the 4x4 module....

Hey Andy,
Glad to see you and glad to see continued development for the explorer sport. I look forward to getting an updated tune.
Thanks! Please keep us advised of any more developments.

Any timeframe for when the catted down pipes will be available for the Sport?

andy@livernois - I understand your development and effort is going towards the Explorer Sport, but if parts do cross over to the other N/A motor setup, please be sure to note that. I would certainly be interested.

Downpipes would be awesome.

Any timeframe for when the catted down pipes will be available for the Sport?

I am guessing production pieces will be 4-6 weeks out at a minimum.

andy@livernois - I understand your development and effort is going towards the Explorer Sport, but if parts do cross over to the other N/A motor setup, please be sure to note that. I would certainly be interested.

Will do, but truthfully, no one has ever brought us an NA taurus, flex, or explorer to do any work with. As much as I would love to say this might be something we tackle, if it was, it would be a good number of months before we could do any exploration in this area.

Downpipes would be awesome.

agreed, watch closely over the next week or so ;)

Been waiting on this for a long while. Andy, are there any revisions on the tune yet?

Will tunes be available for other fuel grades as well? My work pays for fuel but only 89 octane.

Been waiting on this for a long while. Andy, are there any revisions on the tune yet?

I sent an email to info@livernoismotorsports.com and received updated tunes for my Explorer last night. They were fast in responding and getting the tunes to me. There is an update needed for the tuner software. All in all pretty painless.
I haven't had a chance to really drive it and get an opinion on the update though.

I sent an email to info@livernoismotorsports.com and received updated tunes for my Explorer last night. They were fast in responding and getting the tunes to me. There is an update needed for the tuner software. All in all pretty painless.
I haven't had a chance to really drive it and get an opinion on the update though.

My tunes are not updated according to the update software. Do you guys anticipate doing the meth any time soon? Money is burning a hole on the old wallet...

My tunes are not updated according to the update software. Do you guys anticipate doing the meth any time soon? Money is burning a hole on the old wallet...

We are also working on our methanol system for this as well. As for the tune, did you email in to info@livernoismotorsports.com ? the update software has to be manually queued for an update to be sent to the programmer. Send an email with your serial number, name, mods list, fuel grade, and strategy code to see if we have an update for you that we can push to the device.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question for Andy

Will tunes be available for other fuel grades as well? My work pays for fuel but only 89 octane.

Hi Andy, I am also interested to see if you will have a 89 tune.

Back