• Register Today It's free!

Continues Ticking Noise

Korak

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2011
Hi everyone,

It is my first post here, please be gentle:

A month a go my car had developed a ticking noise followed by engine light-on with a subtle shake, at first the Ford dealer diagnosed it with bad fuel injectors so all 6 were replaced. A day later I collected the car and the issue was still there, they had a second look and confirmed I had at least one scored or broken piston. their pricing was beyond my budged. Took it to a decent mechanic where they replaced the entire engine and transferred the remaining bits over, compressor manifolds, intake, wiring etc They placed (fully synthetic 5w-30 with STP oil filter). 6 days later collected the car and everything was fine until an oil change (Motorcraft 5w20 and Motorcraft oil-filter) then it developed a constant ticking noise. I was advised the oil was too thin then I replaced it to (fully synthetic 5W-40). Now two weeks on the car drives normal but the ticking noise wont disrepair. the sound comes from the front passenger side of the engine it stays on from cold and after a long drive when it has warmed up. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Korak

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what owners manual or dealership you guys get your oil recommendations from, but it's clearly not the "right" type as per the factory or what's labelled on the oil cap; as I see 5W30 being the only type referenced.

I don't know what owners manual or dealership you guys get your oil recommendations from, but it's clearly not the "right" type as per the factory or what's labelled on the oil cap; as I see 5W30 being the only type referenced.
2011 Owner's Manual, page 406.

I don't understand the "oil was to thin" explanation since 5W-20 is the recommended oil for your Explorer and that is what the majority of owners use.
Are you positive that the current ticking sound is coming from the engine and not from the glove box area? See this thread and video in post #23.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...m-dash-blend-door-actuator-diy-repair.410152/

Peter

I was recommended to use an oil with a thicker weight to it with more viscosity. Unfortunately the factory recommended oil was terrible and I still believe it is the reason the car developed the ticking noise, my reason is when I drained the oil 5w-20 after 100 miles or so, it poured out as if it was water or something 'I am trying to give an expression here to the lack of its viscosity or thickness to it'

Below is a video I took this morning this is after the car is driven for over an hour I hope it gives a better understanding of the sound I am referring to, please excuse the poor video quality:

I was recommended to use an oil with a thicker weight to it with more viscosity. Unfortunately the factory recommended oil was terrible and I still believe it is the reason the car developed the ticking noise, my reason is when I drained the oil 5w-20 after 100 miles or so, it poured out as if it was water or something 'I am trying to give an expression here to the lack of its viscosity or thickness to it'
I really couldn't hear anything unusual. Towards the end of the video I heard something but thought it might just be the alternator turning. If I recall, it seems my 2011 would have a very slight ticking sound when idling but nothing I was ever concerned about
If you check your Owner's Manual you'll see that the engine was designed to run on 5W-20 and I think the designers would know what's best.
Here is what your Manual states regarding motor oil for your vehicle;
To protect your engine and engine’s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine.
I checked all the Manuals from 2011 to 2017 and 5W-20 is the only recommended oil for the 3.5L V6 Duratec engine. In the 2014 Manual it began listing 5W-30 for the Ecoboost. I think if someone is recommending a thicker viscosity oil it may be to mask a possible issue with the engine.

Peter

Ford specifies 5w30 motor oil for turbocharged engines. Normally aspirated engines get 5w20 motor oil.

I really couldn't hear anything unusual. Towards the end of the video I heard something but thought it might just be the alternator turning. If I recall, it seems my 2011 would have a very slight ticking sound when idling but nothing I was ever concerned about
If you check your Owner's Manual you'll see that the engine was designed to run on 5W-20 and I think the designers would know what's best.
Here is what your Manual states regarding motor oil for your vehicle;
To protect your engine and engine’s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine.
I checked all the Manuals from 2011 to 2017 and 5W-20 is the only recommended oil for the 3.5L V6 Duratec engine. In the 2014 Manual it began listing 5W-30 for the Ecoboost. I think if someone is recommending a thicker viscosity oil it may be to mask a possible issue with the engine.

Peter
Peter, You have been very helpful,

I shall replace it with what's recommended very soon.

Regards

Ford specifies 5w30 motor oil for turbocharged engines. Normally aspirated engines get 5w20 motor oil.
Thank you.

Is this the thick? I have a 2016 Explorer they changed timing,guides and tensioners at the dealer. Not sure when it started, because wife’s drive it.
Took it to dealer, they told me to wait until a gets louder because there’s lot of things can make that noise.

Is this the thick? I have a 2016 Explorer they changed timing,guides and tensioners at the dealer. Not sure when it started, because wife’s drive it.
Took it to dealer, they told me to wait until a gets louder because there’s lot of things can make that noise.
If your reply was meant for the originator of the thread, it's doubtful he'll see it. The member was last seen here on February 13, 2018.
I listened to the video and really could not pick out any unusual sounds.

Peter

If your reply was meant for the originator of the thread, it's doubtful he'll see it. The member was last seen here on February 13, 2018.
I listened to the video and really could not pick out any unusual sounds.

Peter
Thank you Peter. You made me feel better. Here’s another video of another owner.Sounds like the typewriter tick from other ford vehicles. But is gone once you rev up. Runs normal but just want opinions.
Thank you for taking the time.

My 2017 Platinum would make a ticking sound when idling after a drive. I'd get out and pick up my mail from the curbside community mailbox and I could hear what almost sounded like the plugs firing away. Never had any issues and never bothered with it.

Peter

Thank you Peter. You made me feel better. Here’s another video of another owner.Sounds like the typewriter tick from other ford vehicles. But is gone once you rev up. Runs normal but just want opinions.
Thank you for taking the time.

It could literally be anything, but my best guess is a worn rocker arm( follower) roller bearing.

It could literally be anything, but my best guess is a worn rocker arm( follower) roller bearing.
But if that was the case shouldn’t the noise go louder as revolutions go up? Truck starts fine no rattling no thicking at cold start. Noise star once the engine is warm about 3-5 minutes after start, also it’s not louder that the fans on hot days.

What you need is a mechanic's stethoscope to help you track down where the sound is coming from. Harbor freight has a cheap one for five bucks that I use and it works fine.

But if that was the case shouldn’t the noise go louder as revolutions go up?
What you need is a mechanic's stethoscope to help you track down where the sound is coming from. Harbor freight has a cheap one for five bucks that I use and it works fine.
Am not a mechanic 😅 even if I knew where it’s coming from, am lost. My mechanic friend says a timing tensioner, dealer says it could be anything but to let it go louder. It has at least 6 months like that.
I always change the oil in a lot less miles that require it. My only guess is normal or dealer did something wrong when changing timing.

That tick is right on the engine rythym, so, it's valvtrain- combustion cycle speed. Rules out lower end and timing, save for a possible slapping piston on combustion stroke. Bottom end sounds are normally faster ticking.

Could be cam Follower, rocker, loose spark plug, exhaust leak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That tick is right on the engine rythym, so, it's valvtrain- combustion cycle speed. Rules out lower end and timing, save for a possible slapping piston on combustion stroke. Bottom end sounds are normally faster ticking.

Could be cam Follower, rocker, loose spark plug, exhaust leak.
I cannot hear it inside when driving, even if i open the hood still a light tick, it's more lauder if you go under the suv

Back