Continuing RCS issues with 2010 Explorer. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Continuing RCS issues with 2010 Explorer.

The cheap little code reader I have only reads engine codes and nothing else. I’m assuming the shops I’ve taken it to have the equipment to read abs codes as they’ve told me about the speed sensor code. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Again, I’m spending no more money unless I’m know for sure, 100% without a doubt, it will fix my problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I appreciate everyone’s replies and help….but problem solved. There is a small round speaker that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster. This provides the sounds and dings for all the various alarms: door open, key in ignition, RSC alarms, low fuel as well as turn signals and such. Took a little bit of effort, but it just popped right out. No wires to snip and no permanent damage. Should be easy enough to pop it back in place if the need arises. But at least there are no more alarms sounding off constantly and that’s all I really wanted.

Thanks again.

847174E3-D28E-4E30-BEEB-F4D2339FD106.jpeg
BC2B3015-7552-4C35-9D2E-EE6F7C96824E.jpeg

It was a big problem only in that the constant alarm beeping randomly was annoying as f***. That problem is now solved and that’s all I care about. I’ve been to the parts store to have the codes pulled. I’ve been to TWO different shops for repairs and still it beeps. It runs and drives and stops ok and that’s what is important. Now I don’t have to listen to that blasted alarm anymore. Thanks.

And most importantly….Memaw is happy now. It’s her truck, her ride, she is the one that drives it everyday. I don’t have to listen to her b!txh about it anymore.

And most importantly….Memaw is happy now. It’s her truck, her ride, she is the one that drives it everyday. I don’t have to listen to her b!txh about it anymore.
ah man at least she cares about the rig, half of people i know it could be knocking and they woudlnt care😂 most would just crank the radio higher probably 😂

Just so you understand that your RSC system is now no longer functioning properly. I would guess that it would be the same for the antilock and the traction control also. If it can't sense the speed of one of the wheels then the system cannot function properly.
If you want to delve in further then I would concentrate on two things - the wiring to the speed sensors and the tone rings. It will be a rear tone ring as they are built into the hubs in the front IIRC and you stated that you replaced both of them. If there is a problem with the tone ring - which are prone to cracking - then it will show as a speed sensor issue.
One last thing - you haven't swapped out any tires recently right?

Just so you understand that your RSC system is now no longer functioning properly. I would guess that it would be the same for the antilock and the traction control also. If it can't sense the speed of one of the wheels then the system cannot function properly.
If you want to delve in further then I would concentrate on two things - the wiring to the speed sensors and the tone rings. It will be a rear tone ring as they are built into the hubs in the front IIRC and you stated that you replaced both of them. If there is a problem with the tone ring - which are prone to cracking - then it will show as a speed sensor issue.
One last thing - you haven't swapped out any tires recently right?
To address your first paragraph….we actually managed to survive the first nearly 90 years of automotive history without any of those so called “safety features” you tout. To be honest… those safety features have resulted in a generation of so called drivers who don’t know the first thing about actually driving. In trucker lingo, you’re nothing but a bunch of steering wheel holders, expecting the cars to do everything for you. I keep threatening Memaw to buy her a 1970’s station wagon because it doesn’t have any of this computer controlled BS and it would provide her with the passenger room she needs for the grandkids. And trust me, a 1970 station wagon will win any accident with a freakin Tesla.

Yes, I know all those “safety features” are disabled. I’ve been a mechanic for 40 years. I know exactly what it means to ignore the warnings. Basically, it means that this 2010 vehicle is now as safe as a1970, depending on the driver. And I trust Memaw to know what to do in an emergency situation. She sure af isn’t gonna rely on some computer controlled system to stop the brake action when she’s about to hit someone.

As I’ve mentioned before…and frankly I’m getting tired of repeating myself, I’ve had two (2) different shops looking into the problem and neither one has solved the problem. I’ve personally replaced the speed sensors, had the wheel bearing hubs with the tone rings replaced, everything but the actual abs/RSC module replaced which is cost prohibitive, and yes…the tires have been replaced as well. The only alternative at this point is to disable the alarms. We’ve already been driving it for months with the systems disabled as it’s been in fault mode since the beginning. This is nothing new.

But thanks for your opinion anyway.

And that's fine - I completely understand so don't go off on me. I don't know your background and lot's of people come here looking for advice that couldn't change their own oil if they had to so I think it's appropriate to point out what they might be missing.
If you know - you know. And I actually have no judgement on that.

So I posted HOW MANY TIMES in this one post EXACTLY WHAT I’VE DONE so far related to this issue and you still comment about what I’ve done could have issues with lasting consequences? Have you even read this thread? And you wonder why I call you out? I get that there are many people post who couldn’t change their own oil and that in itself is scary, but if you’ve actually read this thread from the beginning, you should get a fairly clear idea that I know something of what I’m doing and especially what I’ve already done and dealt with in the situation. And yet you still felt the need to speak up, which resulted in my reply. And then this one. You only get what you ask for. And you asked for this. I always appreciate when someone replies to my posts and offers actual help. But you my friend, apparently either didn’t read the thread or didn’t care and just had to add your two cents anyway. I don’t wish to discourage you from responding to others in need of help. I would only suggest you thoroughly read the threads first and make sure you fully understand the situation and what the poster has done already in regards to their issues. I’m sure that will save you much time and embarrassment. As well as further chastisement. Just saying.

So I posted HOW MANY TIMES in this one post EXACTLY WHAT I’VE DONE so far related to this issue and you still comment about what I’ve done could have issues with lasting consequences? Have you even read this thread? And you wonder why I call you out? I get that there are many people post who couldn’t change their own oil and that in itself is scary, but if you’ve actually read this thread from the beginning, you should get a fairly clear idea that I know something of what I’m doing and especially what I’ve already done and dealt with in the situation. And yet you still felt the need to speak up, which resulted in my reply. And then this one. You only get what you ask for. And you asked for this. I always appreciate when someone replies to my posts and offers actual help. But you my friend, apparently either didn’t read the thread or didn’t care and just had to add your two cents anyway. I don’t wish to discourage you from responding to others in need of help. I would only suggest you thoroughly read the threads first and make sure you fully understand the situation and what the poster has done already in regards to their issues. I’m sure that will save you much time and embarrassment. As well as further chastisement. Just saying.
jmo but i think 07 was just pointing out that there could be adverse affects just so youre clear and understand what comes out of it, which you do. i think he just wanted to reiterate, as sometimes many, me included, sometimes forget what can arise from things and just jump in 🤣 just my opinion however ;)

Near as I can tell, the only adverse affects I’m going to encounter with the removal of the “noise maker/speaker” is the lack of turn signal clicks, key-in-ignition dings, door ajar bells and other warnings and alerts that may arise due to sensor problems. I’m good with that and more importantly, Memaw is happy with that. As far as the systems in question being disabled due to my actions…the abs/RSC/traction control and any other related system has been inactive for MONTHS already due to whatever system failure has caused our problems. I’m fairly certain that the problem is in the module/computer that operates those systems and I’m not about to spend $2000 to get it replaced and not have it work. F that. Removing the little noise maker is the best solution to maintaining anyones sanity. And if anyone is having the same issues I’ve been having, I would gladly recommend doing the same thing and even walk them thru exactly what I did so they can also be free of that annoying alarm.

With that said, as I’ve mentioned before…my problem is solved, I thank everyone for their assistance and help, now let’s please put this to rest. Thank you.

Hello again. I’ve posted before about the issues I’m having with the RCS warning alerts going off in my 2010 Explorer. Here is a list of everything that’s been done to this vehicle so far, some specifically related to addressing the RCS, some not so much.

All 4 wheel speed sensors have been replaced (one in the back was replaced a second time because the shop said it was cut and another time codes were saying a rear sensor fault so that one got replaced, but I’m unsure if it was the same position. And the ABS light is still on. )

All 4 brakes replaced including pads, calipers and rotors. (There’s been no actual brake related issues since replacing them, however since another unrelated repair was made, the brake is on on the dash.)

Both front wheel hub bearings have been replaced.

One front half shaft replaced.

I believe a rear haft shaft was also replaced along with the pinion seal on the rear diff.

The front differential was either replaced or rebuilt due to bearing noise. (This resulted in the brake light staying on on the dash. It also resulted in a bizarre issue with the operation of the key fob locking and unlocking the doors, setting the alarm and the remote start. Also bizarre, those issues have since cleared up on their own and are now functioning like normal.)

This alarm issue is beyond annoying and happens all the time, randomly. It will go off at anytime, even just sitting still, or just after starting the vehicle and before even putting it in gear.

At this point, I’ve come to the conclusion that the problem is in the computer system that controls it, but it’s way too expensive to replace.

My main question right now is, is it possible to disable the alarm? The sound is coming from behind the instrument cluster, I’m assuming from the same module that makes the blinker noise. I don’t care if all the other alerts and noises, such as turn signals and stuff, are disabled as well, I just want this godawful noise to stop. Help!!!
Before you replace the computer replace your Battery/Starter wiring harness. I basically went through the same process of elimination as you because my mechanic recommended it. When the problem persisted I went with my gut feeling and ordered the harness and had him replace it. That made the dash lights and that annoying alarm go away. It's been a year now and no recurrence.

Before you replace the computer replace your Battery/Starter wiring harness. I basically went through the same process of elimination as you because my mechanic recommended it. When the problem persisted I went with my gut feeling and ordered the harness and had him replace it. That made the dash lights and that annoying alarm go away. It's been a year now and no recurrence.
Can you elaborate a little more on this “battery/starter” wiring harness? Are you referring to the thick cable that connects the battery to the starter? I appreciate your input on this. I have no intention of replacing any computer on this vehicle. If it comes to that, it’s history. I’ve deleted the noise maker, but if I can stop the warnings altogether that would be so much better. Thanks.

Well, I appreciate everyone’s replies and help….but problem solved. There is a small round speaker that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster. This provides the sounds and dings for all the various alarms: door open, key in ignition, RSC alarms, low fuel as well as turn signals and such. Took a little bit of effort, but it just popped right out. No wires to snip and no permanent damage. Should be easy enough to pop it back in place if the need arises. But at least there are no more alarms sounding off constantly and that’s all I really wanted.

Thanks again.

View attachment 431158View attachment 431159
I am having the same annoying ABS/RCS alarm problems. How did you remove the speaker? Did you have to remove instrument cluster to access it? This appears to be a plausible fix until I can find a replacement ABS electronic control module.

I am having the same annoying ABS/RCS alarm problems. How did you remove the speaker? Did you have to remove instrument cluster to access it? This appears to be a plausible fix until I can find a replacement ABS electronic control module.
Hi. Sorry for the delayed response. Been kind of busy. So, to answer your question, yes, I removed the instrument cluster. There are two small bolts that hold the panel underneath the steering column. Once removed, there are two small bolts that hold on the panel surrounding the cluster. With that removed, there are four bolts that hold on the cluster. Pull the cluster out and unplug the wiring harness. It has kind of a lever lock mechanism to it that you’ll need to pry up and it will release. You’ll see the small speaker on the backside of the cluster. It’s small, round, and set into a pocket so it’s difficult to get to, but it just snaps into place. You can pry it out with a flat blade screwdriver. As I mentioned before, this speaker provides the sound for ALL of the alarms, alerts and indicators. You’ll no longer hear the turn signals flash, the buzzer of the key in ignition, seat belt warning or any other alarm. So it’s something of a blessing and a curse.

Another member had mentioned a battery/starter harness. I looked it up and it’s basically the complete battery cable harness, both positive and negative together along with other connections. He said replacing his solved his problems. Problem is that’s a $130 harness, so I haven’t replaced it yet. I have noticed there is some corrosion around the negative terminal and post, so my next step will be to clean that up and see if that helps, but it will be a few weeks before I’m able to do so. (I’m a truck driver and out on the road right now.) Hope this helps. If you should try cleaning your battery cables, or replace them and it helps with the problem, please let me know. Thanks.

Had this on my 2010 explorer ended up being the hubs needed replaced.

Pull your cluster out and behind it it a little thing that makes the noise. I took mine out but never put back in. It's kinda soldered on if I remember it's been a couple years, but barely had to heat the soldered and it popped right out. Simple...
But no more tick tick for the turn signals.

If tires aren't same brand and size all the way around it'll cause unhappy sensors due to rotation speed differences. All 4 require same time replacement

Hi. Sorry for the delayed response. Been kind of busy. So, to answer your question, yes, I removed the instrument cluster. There are two small bolts that hold the panel underneath the steering column. Once removed, there are two small bolts that hold on the panel surrounding the cluster. With that removed, there are four bolts that hold on the cluster. Pull the cluster out and unplug the wiring harness. It has kind of a lever lock mechanism to it that you’ll need to pry up and it will release. You’ll see the small speaker on the backside of the cluster. It’s small, round, and set into a pocket so it’s difficult to get to, but it just snaps into place. You can pry it out with a flat blade screwdriver. As I mentioned before, this speaker provides the sound for ALL of the alarms, alerts and indicators. You’ll no longer hear the turn signals flash, the buzzer of the key in ignition, seat belt warning or any other alarm. So it’s something of a blessing and a curse.

Another member had mentioned a battery/starter harness. I looked it up and it’s basically the complete battery cable harness, both positive and negative together along with other connections. He said replacing his solved his problems. Problem is that’s a $130 harness, so I haven’t replaced it yet. I have noticed there is some corrosion around the negative terminal and post, so my next step will be to clean that up and see if that helps, but it will be a few weeks before I’m able to do so. (I’m a truck driver and out on the road right now.) Hope this helps. If you should try cleaning your battery cables, or replace them and it helps with the problem, please let me know. Thanks.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! It worked!! No problems at all except that I might have gotten a little impatient and broke one of the mounting tangs on the speaker getting it out of the cluster. No biggie, I seriously doubt I'll ever replace it. I've been putting up with that obnoxious alarm for a few months, now my wife and I can drive in comfort without the noise every four minutes. Thanks again for the advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back