• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Contribute your experience: Ford Explorers 2016-2019

unspecifieduser

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and was considering 2016-2019 model Explorers. I'm just getting into looking into these models, but wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts about changes across those years and whether there were aspects worth considering or things to stay away from.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Buy a 17+ (sync 3) and make sure it is within the b2b warranty so you can buy a Ford ESP on it.

Diveshard

Reaction score
City, State
Gatineau, QC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT V6
I agree with Smoke. The biggest regret I have my with 16X is not having Sync3. If I would have known I would have waited for a 17X.

unspecifieduser

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked and it looked like a lot of grumbling about that issue and good to know to look for 2017+ models.

Are these years pretty much the same mechanically? Does anybody do much work on their Explorer and are there any design issues - good or bad - that you've encountered?

Any feedback on what you like about the trim levels? XLT, limited, etc?

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
To short circuit some of your questions as to what are major issues with this generation of Explorer, go to the top of forum introduction page and click "Replies". It will show you the threads that have received the most responses and more or less focuses on the major issues. In summary, it's not maintenance friendly engine, somewhat of an afterthought by the engineers who designed this generation.

Michael Lopour

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Expedition Limited 302A
I bought a '19 new - I would echo what others have said. I think the main thing '18-19 has that '16-17 doesn't would be built in WiFi depending on trim level? The other thing is the CO issue from exhaust, that was solved after '17 so if you're worried about that do a LOT of research on any particular VIN you are considering.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and was considering 2016-2019 model Explorers. I'm just getting into looking into these models, but wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts about changes across those years and whether there were aspects worth considering or things to stay away from.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Welcome to the Forum.
I think that of all the issues you could possibly have, this may be the most expensive one; Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

Reactions: imp

MFE III

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
'19 Sport
I traded my '13 Sport for a '19 and I am disappointed. My biggest disappointment is in performance. My '19 doesn't have near the power of my '13. I think it's a transmission mapping change that seems to always have it a gear to high. Probably done to gin up fuel economy. Also, there are a few features that aren't in the '19, like hill hold.
My hope is that when I bring it in to the dealer for service, they will discover a turbo plumbing problem that is resulting in the power loss.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I traded my '13 Sport for a '19 and I am disappointed. My biggest disappointment is in performance. My '19 doesn't have near the power of my '13. I think it's a transmission mapping change that seems to always have it a gear to high. Probably done to gin up fuel economy. Also, there are a few features that aren't in the '19, like hill hold.
My hope is that when I bring it in to the dealer for service, they will discover a turbo plumbing problem that is resulting in the power loss.
According to your Owner's Manual the 2019 Explorer like those 5th gens before it, DOES have Hill Start Assist. It is discussed in the Manual.

Peter

TuboPlatinum

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
What trim level are you looking at?
I'm happy with the 2017 platinum with CarPlay, and massaging seats, but there are 2 features on the '18 that I would have liked to have - actual LED fog lamps (it's a small light instead of the big lamp), and auto stop/start in the auto cruise control. If the auto cruise control goes below 12mph, it turns off and yells at you to take over in the 2017. The 2018 will just stop and continue when the traffic continues (at least what I've heard about it).

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
The 2017 Platinum does have actual LED foglamps. The external shape doesn't matter. Also, the 2018 Adaptive Cruise Control works just like the 2017. It will not function under 12 mph.

Peter

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Ford Explorer Limited
The 2017 Platinum does have actual LED foglamps. The external shape doesn't matter. Also, the 2018 Adaptive Cruise Control works just like the 2017. It will not function under 12 mph.

Peter
this is correct. I think auto start stop is now a feature in the 2020.