Control arm / Ball joint replacement on a 1998 4.0 explorer AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Control arm / Ball joint replacement on a 1998 4.0 explorer AWD

ernaldmerican

Reaction score
City, State
schenectady New york
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Does any one know of a thread or a good how to procedure for replacing the upper and lower control arms and removing and reinstalling the torsion bar. Ball joints are bad but to my understanding you have to replace the control arm as well. The torsion bar has to be removed for the lower arm to come off and my real concern is how to remove and replace that with out killing myself.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Does any one know of a thread or a good how to procedure for replacing the upper and lower control arms and removing and reinstalling the torsion bar. Ball joints are bad but to my understanding you have to replace the control arm as well. The torsion bar has to be removed for the lower arm to come off and my real concern is how to remove and replace that with out killing myself.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Look in the Useful thread section of this forum.. For the lower ball joint you don't need to remove the control arm or the torsion bar. The upper balljoint is built into the upper control arm so that one you do have to replace as a whole.

I am in the process of doing this procedure myself on a 1998 explorer awd V8. I removed my entire lower control arm because I am replacing the bushings, but you shouldn't need to do that to just replace the ball joint. If you don't remove the control arm you will probably want to go ahead and remove the nut on the axle to pull the steering knuckle completely off. The hub will need to come off first to do that there are 3 bolts that hold the hub onto the steering knuckle. Remove those then pull the hub off then That allows you to have more room at the ball joint. The CV joint will get in your way some but you should have enough room to get at it. You will want a Ball Joint press for the removal and installation of the ball joint. You can go to Harbor Freight and get a ball joint press for $30 or I believe you can rent them. I got mine and Harbor Freight and it works fine.

But if you want to take the Torsion bar out all you have to do is mark it so you you know how it was set it there so you can try to get it back into the postion you took it out at. But you remove the shield on the rear end of the torsion bar, then using a 2-jaw gear puller you can use it push up on the part of the torsion bar that presses against the adjuster bolt to relieve tension on the bolt, then you can remove the bolt, and the rectangular nut piece the bolt screws up through. Then back off on the 2 jaw puller and you should then be able to hammer the torsion bar out of the lower control arm. And the Torsion bar falls out into your hands. When you go to hammer the bar out of the control arm put a jack stand under it so that it doesn't just fall out onto the floor. Thats it though. I just pulled mine out for the first time and it was pretty dang easy.

Most of these jobs are a lot easier with a nice impact wrench of course and some WD 40 or any other penetrating stuff.

Oh yeah count the number of threads on the adjuster bolt or mark it somehow so you know how far it screwed up in to the Torsion Bar

Back