Control Arm + Joints or Just Joints | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Control Arm + Joints or Just Joints

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Time to do the upper/lower ball joints. They are no longer sealed, dry, and make a lot of noise.

Question, do I replace just the ball joints or do I replace the entire control arm too? Control Arm Bushings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am contemplating this same exact question right now! Thoughts from the professionals?

You have to replace the entire upper control arm, I would suggest Moog parts, then in the future you can just replace the ball joint. For the lowers you only have to replace the ball joint, not the entire control arm.

ordered

I just bought a front end kit off Ebay for $159 + shipping.

upper control arms, control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and sway bar endlinks.

I should get it in a few days and will install on the following weekend. I'll provide an update on the kit. It's not Moog or Ford parts... but I just replaced the auto hubs with name brand ($400) like 2 weeks ago so I'm still feeling the burn... this truck hit the wall at 10 years... new tires, shocks, front end rebuild, engine tuneup, replace audio, etc all in the last 10 months.

Will worn ball joints cause "cupping" of front tires?

If not, then does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

You have to replace the entire upper control arm, I would suggest Moog parts, then in the future you can just replace the ball joint.

Not necessarily. If you want a Moog warranty replacement, you have to swap the whole control arm out.

techie is right though. You can buy the complete upper control arm from Moog that has a replaceable ball joint so you don't have to replace the entire upper arm next time. Moog will warranty their ball joint. IIRC, it's their Problem Solver series

Back