• Register Today It's free!

Control Track and BWM

yavapaires

Reaction score
City, State
Dewey, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
When the rear wheels are off the ground, shouldn't the front wheels pull thetruck when either 4wd setting( 4wd auto, or 4wd low) is selected? The vacuum disconnect seems to be working fine. With engine running, front wheels both off the ground, they turn in opposite directions as they should with open differential, and 4wd switch in either selection. With BWM switch in manual, the driveshaft cannot be turned more than about 1/2 turn when 4wd engaged. All seems normal to me, except front wheels will not pull. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am not up on all this automatic stuff. I would like to have a MANUAL tc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the t-case fluid. It sounds like the clutches are slipping. If they are the fluid will be dark and smell burnt. The control trac case relies on a clutch pack to engage the 4wd. When you switch from auto to 4hi the shift motor doesn't actually change the case to 4wd, the torque on demand relay applies power to the clutches at 100%. If the clutches are worn and slipping it would probably test correctly on jackstands but not on the ground under power.

I recently changed the T/C fluid and it was a little dark, but not as bad as I expected. Thanks for your input.

Check the t-case fluid. It sounds like the clutches are slipping. If they are the fluid will be dark and smell burnt. The control trac case relies on a clutch pack to engage the 4wd. When you switch from 2wd to 4auto the shift motor doesn't actually change the case to 4wd, the torque on demand relay applies power to the clutches at 100%. If the clutches are worn and slipping it would probably test correctly on jackstands but not on the ground under power.

Come on Al, its a 96. With all the T-case research you've done, you should know better. :p:

Never even looked at the year. I'm so embarrassed. If you need me I'll be under my rock, licking my wounds.

Back